• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Would adding another intake flange be a good spacer?

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
kind of an odd and off the wall idea, I know it is not a phonic spacer but would just running say a 1/2inch thick intake flange with say a gasket on each side make a good spacer to try to keep a little more heat out of things?

Sure it adds to the amount of spaces for there to be a vac/boost leak BUT in the long run it might be a lot easier and cheaper and still be worth that maybe 2-5hp gain under the curve. Figure while all of us are trying to be cheap and get every last bit of power out of these engines who thinks they would be willing to do it?

I am sure a nice flange shouldn't cost more than $50-70 and another intake gasket is pretty cheap. sure it throws off some of the brackets and piping for the intercooler pipes but I could not imagine they would be that far off. the kickdown and throttle cable would still work just fine as they should have enough play in them to also adjust

so yea there ya go, why has no one else done this before?

who wants to find someone to make a nice batch of 8v head flanges for us?

I know on V8's just adding a single spacer under the carb even being Aluminum can pick up some pretty stupid numbers( I have seen some 300-400bhp engines net 10-15hp under the curve) .... and is not what we are all about is making as much n/a power to help that turbo make as much peak power as possible ?

The End

wasnt there a group buy of delrin intake manifold gaskets a while ago?
if you had a thick delrin (or plastic of some sort, thinking delrin cause its pretty stiff) cut to size, it'd isolate heat pretty good and give that space.

maybe if i think of it, i could take a manifold to the plastic place near me and have them cut something out (assuming it isnt super expensive?) and see what it does.
^not sure on timeline for this...dont have a spare manifold sitting around, and on some things, that place is expensive, i've never had them cut something like that.

you do not HAVE to use something that does not transfer heat, we used to use Aluminum on V8's w/o any major issues. the two gaskets help keep a bit of the heat out, never mind the longer runners that you gain(every little bit counts) we also used wood when we really wanted to be cheap

Plastics are great but I have seen a few here and else where use sub par stuff and have it melt into the engine. and being that I like in hell I would love to keep stuff that can melt out of my engine. I would much rather use aluminum and make it thicker than anything else.

Last I heard the Delrin and other GB's went sour, AFAIK there should be no reason a GB for aluminum and some intake gaskets would go wrong. and being that I can get longer studs from my supplier it is not a bit issue

I'm not sure you want to move the injectors further away from the head, under vaccuum they might spay the spacer, running down the wall instead of vaporizing. just a thought...

I'm not sure you want to move the injectors further away from the head, under vaccuum they might spay the spacer, running down the wall instead of vaporizing. just a thought...

+1

the injectors are aimed rather well at the base of the intake port on the head
moving the manifold out 1/2" would have them pointing at the spacer...

ohh... your also going to need longer studs for the head... but they are easy to come by...
the stock exhaust side turbo studs are about 1/2" longer

hmmm, we have some aluminum flanges in stock. I should try and get the car to the dyno and try it with and without...wouldn't be hard to change....and see.

Last edited:
+1

the injectors are aimed rather well at the base of the intake port on the head
moving the manifold out 1/2" would have them pointing at the spacer...

ohh... your also going to need longer studs for the head... but they are easy to come by...
the stock exhaust side turbo studs are about 1/2" longer

you don't really want them aimed at the port itself iirc, but more at the back of the valve. Also, the further upstream the injector is (to a point) the better 'mixing' of air and fuel you get prior to entering the chamber

actually the fuel most likely pools a little on top of the valves. lots of fuel systems actually spray fuel at the same time, or so ive heard.

I guess one could use an angled spacer to restore injector aim if that was a concern. Yeah, that will result in the manifold nuts bearing unevenly on the manifold holes but aluminum is soft :-P

Back