• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Catch can install; am I doing it right?

I think I saw a 5 cylinder Volvo at a show with a intercooler pipe that was Arizona ice tea pattern.
Anybody confirm that?

Can't confirm but don't doubt it.

OP hold off on rebuild kits and get a proper catch can. That will isolate blow by from leaky turbo seals. Don't spend money until you know you have to.

Am I wasting my time? Is the car worth all of the time and money i spend on it? Why does it still look and run like chit after all of the work i put into it? Why do we put so much work into a form of transportation that will be deemed obsolete and environmentally unethical within my lifetime?

Do you meditate? Maybe it's time to start. Clear your head of impure thoughts.

1) yes
2) no
3) just because
4) see 1

alright cool. I was wondering about that cause the turbo clearly reads garret on the intake side.;-) I do not have nearly that much oil in my pipes or intercooler so I will probably put the turbo rebuild off until the summer at least. While I have the thread open I have another question: as sort of a side project for rainy days I have been rebuilding/cleaning a b23 style intake manifold off of my 86 245dl parts car to put on this car. I've heard a lot about the "90+" manifolds being better, Is it worth it to put on a pre 90' manifold over the b21ft manifold? Am I wasting my time? Is the car worth all of the time and money i spend on it? Why does it still look and run like chit after all of the work i put into it? Why do we put so much work into a form of transportation that will be deemed obsolete and environmentally unethical within my lifetime? Anyway hopeful someone who knows more than me can help with at least one of those questions.

The 90+ vs 90- is for exhaust manifolds. Intake arent different AS FAR AS IM AWARE

Thanks @canadan that answers my question. Thanks @harry turtle I just started and I think your deffinitly on to something.

@v8242 the bolts holding the power steering to to the block sheared and Im waiting to fix it until I have safe tires on the car.

I have a ton more stupid questions like these, should I start a project thread or just keep asking them here?

Ask here but you should try to search as much as possible first. If you can't find an answer, start a new thread with a very clear thread title. Helps get answers quicker and helps people searching that might have the same question.

Thanks I will do that.

So back to the topic of catch can installation, does anyone know where a good place to buy flexible -10 an hose?

If it's just for vapor, what's wrong with some 10/16-> 5/8in rubber hose?

Most GOOD hydraulic shops will have different types of hose. Everything from steel braided (internal), woven cloth exterior, and flexible rubber hose. My favorite local one carries a lot of Aeroquip products, and they're cheaper than Summit Racing.

If it's just for vapor, what's wrong with some 10/16-> 5/8in rubber hose?

Most GOOD hydraulic shops will have different types of hose. Everything from steel braided (internal), woven cloth exterior, and flexible rubber hose. My favorite local one carries a lot of Aeroquip products, and they're cheaper than Summit Racing.

+1 I was able to get a chunk of nice nylon outer braid/stainless inner braided stuff from the local CAT shop.

I get it now. Crankcase oil vapor is sucked into the turbo and blown into the intercooler. Sounds like the catch can is not catching the oil. Maybe a larger can with baffles mounted lower. I mounted one next to the carbon canister under the left front fender. ('81 242 B21F)

Ok that's sounds perfect but I live in the middle of p!ss nowhere so there is no local hydraulic shop. Is there a cheap online retailer I should go to or would someone be willing to ship me 7-8 feet of hose? That's seems a little unnecessary but it will still probably be cheaper than buying from summit racing.

Ok that's sounds perfect but I live in the middle of p!ss nowhere so there is no local hydraulic shop. Is there a cheap online retailer I should go to or would someone be willing to ship me 7-8 feet of hose? That's seems a little unnecessary but it will still probably be cheaper than buying from summit racing.

How about Herman & Co 928 W Main St, Walla Walla, WA 99362 - (509) 522-4617
or J&L in Pasco 1120 W Lewis St, Pasco, WA 99301 - (509) 545-9032

And if you need fittings, just tell them youre looking for JIC stuff

If you absolutely need to order online heres a few
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Hydraulic_Hose_s/84.htm
https://www.grainger.com/category/hydraulic-bulk-hoses/hydraulic-hoses/hydraulics/ecatalog/N-c6x
http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/hydraulic-hose

Let it be known that cwdodson88 is smarter than me.

Thanks I'll check those places out. I will use the fittings I already have.

Just for future ref JIC and AN will interchange, but 50/50 that a hydraulic shop out there would have any idea WTF AN fittings are... I had most places around me saying "nope" when I was asking for AN stuff, then I brought in what I was working on and "Oh, hey, I have JIC stuff, yeah, why you no say so earlier"... Most automotive AN stuff is aluminum, most JIC stuff is stainless. Do with that what you please.

Back