• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another 350 swap thread (240)

studmuffed

Hey all, after doing some digging I think I decided to 350 swap my 245. They are cheap, simple, and common. I looked into LS but the transmission options were all very expensive. I am planning on using a 350 from a truck and having it carbureted. I would like to pair it with a NV3500 trans since they are super cheap and can hold the power. Has anyone tried to fit one of these in the 240 trans tunnel before?

I put a Chevy 350 in my wagon back in Dec '88, I used a powerglide trans, had one at the time. The powerglide fit with no tunnel mods, as for other trans you might need to mod the tunnel.

I put a Chevy 350 in my wagon back in Dec '88, I used a powerglide trans, had one at the time. The powerglide fit with no tunnel mods, as for other trans you might need to mod the tunnel.

Ok good to know. Did the 350 add a significant amount of weight? Did the Dana 30 hold up?

The 350 added about 70-90lbs. After I first built it I put S/S headers on, aluminum water pump, aluminum intake. Maybe lost 20lbs. The weight was never as issue. As far as the Dana 30, never an issue, tires would break loose first, first rear was 3.90, changed to 3.31, much calmer on the highway but not as fast off the line. With the powerglide & 3.90's it would shift out of low @ 64mph in under 4 seconds, with the 3.31's, now low will hit 74mph @ about 6 seconds. P.S.I have put 340K miles on since.

Look around for a copy of the Jags that Run Volvo Chevy swap book. Has a lot of the basic good information you need for doing a sbc swap to a volvo 240.

Back