• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164 - Intake leak at EGR valve

floydilian

Hi ya'll!

I'm tracking down intake leaks on my 73 164 (d jet FI). I've temporarily removed most of the hoses and have hooked up a DIY smoke-intake-leak-detector-thing.

I've got some leakage (and so an vacuum leak) around what I think is the valve part of the EGR system. On this setup, the hose that runs from the idle air control valve also connects to the exhaust (see pic). I've circled exactly where it is leaking.

My thought is just to cap the vacuum line and remove (and weld shut?) both the exhaust and intake parts of the EGR valve setup. That way no more flow and non-destructive to any other parts should anyone every care to set this up factory again.

Any reason why this is a stupid idea? I don't think the D jet will know the difference but.... not positive. :-P

Thanks!

If you want to maintain the EGR system, Volvo still sells the EGR valve.

And I have a NOS original Volvo EGR valve that I'll sell for less than Volvo.

When the EGR valve goes open it admits inert gas to the intake (inert as in no free O2) manifold which dilutes the intake charge and lowers combustion temperatures. On digital fuel injection the fuel PW is reduced to deliver less fuel when the EGR valve is open and keep the AFR correct. I don't know how the D jet handles EGR fuel mix; but, if you delete the EGR so that it is no longer adding inert gas; but, you haven't retuned the D jet (very difficult) you may end up running lean under those conditions when the EGR valve would normally be open.

I would be inclined to keep the EGR system intact. The other option is that EGR may not have been used on all versions of the 164E. If you could find a D jet controller from a non EGR car that might facilitate the EGR delete. In the absence of knowing all the gory details about the 164E EGR and D jet system, I personally would be inclined to keep the EGR in place.

Back