• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Salt free no longer

lol, I'm pretty sure that ODOT has used salt in the past, as have other cities in the PDX area. It's just the city itself that wouldn't, which is why there was such a clusterf<A>u</A>ck last winter, just like what happened in 2008 in Seattle.

-J

Portland is now salting certain roads.

Adios, rust free stumptown bricks.

Roads all over the south are salted every winter.

One week of slush isn't going to turn your brick into a rust bucket ;-)

The reason why cars up north are rusted out has more to do with the frequency at which the roads are salted.

The reason why cars up north are rusted out has more to do with the frequency at which the roads are salted.

We get the salt day after day after day after....

Now that we've gotten some rain the roads are pretty salt-free but as soon as we get another inch of snow they'll be dumping it on again. If the snowplow makes 15 passes down the road then it gets salted another 15 times. :poo:

I need to get a truck because no matter how slippery the roads and how much I may slide around with Blizzaks, some of the truck guys can go 80 no matter what the conditions are. :lol:

Meh. With as little snow as we truly see in the Valley; our bricks are still gonna be leaps and bounds better than the rust belt states on a good day.

Wait till they start using magnesium chloride like here.
Bye bye brake lines and the tin worm reproduces like rabbits.

Admittedly, CT DOT says it's much more corrosive. You just have to wash your car more often. Yes, they really said that. (Tough to wash your car when it's below freezing.)

are you sure? last i heard they are using salt just on hwy 26?

EDIT
Portland officials say they'll focus their use of road salt on key routes, including:
* West Burnside Avenue
* Sam Jackson Park Road
* Terwilliger Boulevard
* Skyline Boulevard
* Germantown Road
* Southeast 112th and Mt. Scott Boulevard
* North Going Street

anywhere on the southwest side of portland.
If people are more prepared of the winter we wouldn't have this issue. Back in 2008 we had a foot of snow, and never had any issues.

Last edited:
Wait till they start using magnesium chloride like here.
Bye bye brake lines and the tin worm reproduces like rabbits.

Admittedly, CT DOT says it's much more corrosive. You just have to wash your car more often. Yes, they really said that. (Tough to wash your car when it's below freezing.)

In Jersey road salt suppliers were supplying ground up plastic mixed in with the salt a couple years ago. They were just trying to extend the rock salt effectiveness. :lol:

I love sitting at home and watching the circus act known as "Portlanders being out on the road when they shouldn't". Better than watching cops.

You just have to wash your car more often. Yes, they really said that. (Tough to wash your car when it's below freezing.)

I am skeptical of the efficacy of washing. I wash my car and it's covered in salt the next day. It's not like I can really clean the undercarriage very well at a self-serve, and I've never been through a drive-through car wash where the undercarriage wash was more than brief gentle spray. Can't win...

Here in Ohio they heavily saturate the roads with salt and the chemical stuff (magnesium chloride?) at any mention of precipitation, and it's terrible. A rust-free car can become totally ruined after just one season...even when rinsed regularly.

We have a society that doesn't give a crap about our personal transportation service life. After all the car makers are just another giant corp that wants you on their titty for your driving needs.

And don't forget those legislators that just love the extra revenue from sales tax of new cars and local property tax of same.

I am skeptical of the efficacy of washing. I wash my car and it's covered in salt the next day. It's not like I can really clean the undercarriage very well at a self-serve, and I've never been through a drive-through car wash where the undercarriage wash was more than brief gentle spray. Can't win...

Here in Minnesota watching vehicles rust is much more entertaining than watching professional sports. Most entertaining is the "wash and wax every week guy". His vehicle is always shiny and he real feels like he's prolonging it's life. Sooner or later he notices his paint is bubbling over the rear wheels and rocker panels. Game over.
If he crawled under it with a pressure washer every week maybe he would do some good.
Really thought salt travels by capillary action into every nock, cranny and spot welded body seam. Pretty hard to wash it out no matter what you do.
The best defense against a rusty car starts at the manufacturer and they've come a long way since the "rusted out in a week "Chevy Vega. :)

Back