• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b280 in a 240

studmuffed

Hey all, I have been browsing the forums but not finding much on this topic. As far as I'm aware, the 240 never came with the B280. I have heard that these engines were pretty terrible until '88, but the late ones were actually great little motors with good potential. I am building an AutoX/Track wagon and want to do something unique. Would it be a bad idea to swap in a b280? Can I mate a B280 to an M47?

I am trying to decide between doing this, swapping in a SBC, or going for the classic +T setup. I really would prefer not to +T since I already have a +T and want to do something different.

It seems like a B280 could make decent power with much less weight and complexity in comparison to the SBC.

I am building an AutoX/Track wagon and want to do something unique.

A 240 without an engine swap is pretty unique.

Would it be a bad idea to swap in a b280? Can I mate a B280 to an M47?

You can make similar (or more) power with a really awful +T or an (extremely) coughed on NA B230.

This thread seems relevant to your plight: t=161617"]https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=161617[/URL]

A lot of time and money and effort being put into a swap where the engine has 0 performance parts seems like an inefficient use of time.

It seems like a B280 could make decent power with much less weight and complexity in comparison to the SBC.

Weight? Absolutely. I think a complete PRV (I might be thinking of long block numbers, please correct me) weighs ~350 lbs.
Complexity? If you're after something simple and (mostly) bulletproof, just do the SBC. Parts are so much more available.

If you're really desperate to impress everyone with something unique, get something weird that isn't a PRV.

Buick 215?

Last edited:
B280 +t would be cool. You would need some sort of adapter plate. T5 trans would probably be the best route. That's if you can find a good motor. I've only come across a couple and regret not buying one.

The PRV to M46 bell housing is going to be the problem piece of your puzzle since most were autos in the USA market.

Not to mention most of them died a horrible death at 80K to 150K miles 20+ years ago due to the faulty cylinder head lubrication issues.

The PRV to M46 bell housing is going to be the problem piece of your puzzle since most were autos in the USA market.

Not to mention most of them died a horrible death at 80K to 150K miles 20+ years ago due to the faulty cylinder head lubrication issues.

That was the B27. The B280 engines do not have that issue. They run smooth as glass and last 300K+ miles. There just isn't any aftermarket support for them.

Hoard Hoard Hoard

That was the B27. The B280 engines do not have that issue. They run smooth as glass and last 300K+ miles. There just isn't any aftermarket support for them.

Right, but my point was / is that the PRV / M46 bell housings are hen's teeth nowadays.

That said I saw a whole PRV / M46 transmission at Coupe' de Grace's place ~10 years ago so somebody on here could still be holding.

Last edited:
Yeah after some initial looking, I haven't been finding any of these fabled bellhousings. I also did some wiki browsing on the PRV and it seems like a really interesting engine. The high compression version made around 200 hp in other cars and with a turbo some manufacturers were able to push out over 400hp. I wonder how hard it would be to drop one of these more powerful PRVs into a 240. Maybe one could even use a MT from one of these to avoid trying to find one of those rare bellhousings.

I think this would be an awesome project if I had unlimited time and money but with the rarity of parts it seems like a waste of time, as you guys have explained.

Right, but my point was / is that the PRV / M46 bell housings are hen's teeth nowadays.

That said I saw a whole PRV / M46 transmission at Coupe' de Grace's place ~10 years ago so somebody on here could still be holding.

Slap a rotary in it, everybody V8 swaps these cars whether it’s a Ford, chevy or Volvo V8 it’s simply not cool anymore. Idk 2 or 4bt swap, flat four if it’ll fit, spinning dorito, gut a totaled Toyota Mirai and swap the hydrogen setup into the 240. If you’re dead set on a V8/V6 go get a wagon and build a rear engine setup like the hemi under glass, boat V drive between driver and pass seat, hope those shafts don’t go or get a transaxle setup. Bug catcher and boat headers sticking through the roof of the car would be a sick view

Back