• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strut advice

Murploid1

Hello,

Looking for some advice regarding front struts on a 1982 volvo 244.

Front driver side strut is making a clunking sound - no idea when they were last refreshed, likely requires doing.

I pulled off the plastic caps and the rubbers look ok. However the nut on the drivers side is not tight - passenger side is fine and doesn't clunk.

I tried to tighten that nut but it will not, just spins around. There is little resistance.

What am I overlooking here? Do i need to jack the wheel up before attempting to tighten or something?

You need a special socket for tightening struts, it?s a large socket to grab the big nut and then another tool fits in the center to grab the strut itself, hold the center one with an open wrench and grab the other socket with another wrench and twist

The tool needed to hold the strut varies with manufacturer. Stock struts have a double D shaped shaft and the nuts are 24mm.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/images/StrutNutTools1.jpg
StrutNutTools1.jpg

I think I got a generic set from an auto parts store and has worked with a few different brands, not perfect but works

Like it or not spamming the trigger a dozen times for a few seconds will have the issue solved. Only reason I've even gotten out an air impact in years

I thought about the air impact wrench but I would like more control and there is the potential to create a larger problem.

Regarding the deep offset box wrench, not sure I need that in addition to what I purchased? Using that tool may work with vice grips or channel lock pliers..

On a spinning strut shaft. I cover my slip joint pliers jaws with tape and hold the shaft by lifting up the dust boot and reaching through the spring. A vice grip works well, too. Then I use the impact gun to spin it loose easily. Of course only get it loose then put the spring compressor on there before completely removing the nut. We don't want to hurt yourself or anyone helping.

That works great for removal. For installation I use the Volvo tool.

Spinning the shaft with an impact gun can unscrew the working piston inside the strut.

Bilstein said:
Removing and installing shock absorbers/suspension parts with an impact driver (also pliers on the piston rod/shock absorber tube) can damage the shock absorbers and create noise later on. There is also a risk of the screw fitting of the working piston on the piston rod coming loose. On gas-pressure shock absorbers, the piston rod could then be ejected from the shock absorber (caution: hazard!). The use of pliers also damages the finely machined surface ? average surface roughness (Rz) = 0,2 ?m.

not identical

Thanks. Apparently the tool is identical to Lisle "Universal Strut Nut Remover 63400" - which I have managed to order...

I went through so much trying to deal with this the past few years I thought I'd chime in here. I bought so many different "universal" tools and none including the lisle worked. I bought the Volvo special tools in the end, I must say that it was the best money I ever spent. I have several 240's so it made the investment worth it, but man oh man, I am so glad to have the special tools. If you can work out a loaner or something it is really worth it.

9995036 and 9995037 list as still available from Volvo. You can also try Baum Tools and ZDMak tools. They used to get Volvo special tools. The price really isn't much more than I paid 20 years ago.

I checked with the dealer and they said 9995036 is available to order and 9995037 is on backorder.

The Volvo special tools website doesn't list 9995036. The one that's available may be the last one.

That said, I have a set that I'd rent out.

Update is that the tools I bought from Amazon did the job.

Actually, the lisle kit I also bought would also have worked just fine.

Thanks for everyone's input

Back