• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93' 240 Wagon: Strong Gas Smell When Cornering

Hey everyone, I have a 93 240 wagon and I've found that when I corner hard, both the cabin and outside of the car smell like a lot of gas. I've checked it out myself and had my local mechanic take a look to make sure there weren't any leaks and we couldn't find any. Under normal driving conditions, the smell is not there. Any ideas and if so should i be concerned?

At the shop, I would rack the car and bust out the smoke machine and perform a smoke and flow test.

At home, I would pop the cap off the fuel tank access port and check for leaks at the sending unit.

Last edited:
Did your local guy smoke test it? Probably not.

In CA the emissions test on that car includes a test of the EVAP system using a machine that goes into the fuel cap threads. Raw fuel vapors create a lot of smog. You can't pass emissions testing here with any fuel or EVAP leaks. Oh, and raw fuel vapors can start a fire or explode. Hot exhaust and fuel= CarBQ.

I recommend a smoke machine. I can visually check for leaks and also use the gauges to tell of the system is holding pressure. Nitrogen is used; it's an inert gas.

I appreciate the feedback everyone, and no, I'm sure he didn't. I'll look into it, where I am we don't have any emissions tests so I was unaware of this.

Start with the gas cap if it is worse on qucik left hand turns.

BTW from the many years of putting the gas nozzle and leaning on it. The filler neck gets out of round and can leak past the cap.

Last edited:
Often in my experience when that happens its because you are missing your intank oring around the opening or it needs to be replaced.

Obviously when cornering the gas is moved around in the tank and gas can come up through the hole. It usually goes all over the top of the gas tank.

I have seen this afew times before.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll start with the gas cap and if that doesn't take care of it I'll move to the O ring on the tank.

I found on my wife's car a small rust hole in the filler pipe next to the O ring clamp. I had to cut a hole in the trunk floor above it to get to it. Used JB weld to seal it and it has been fine now for over a year.

Not that I would think it would happen as readily in a dry Texas environment, but I had a tank start leaking at the seem where the two halves are welded together. Replaced the entire tank, not too expensive though it was aftermarket, put in a new O ring where the filler tube goes into the tank, new locking ring, resealed the sending unit, replaced the two lines going into/out of the top of the sending unit and all is good now. Best of luck.

Back