• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

You will love this car, I daily drove one for six years, still have it drive it once or
a week now cause it needs some work I haven't had time to do, four kids etc

I'm very excited to get it a little more sorted so I can start enjoying it while I fixed the rest of it.

Today I put on a new shifter boot since the other was in about 7 pieces:

20387354746_c31ee1b1f9_z.jpg

While I was reattaching the instrument cluster the other day I replaced some fuses and plugged in some loose wires. Low and behold I now have a light that tells me when the choke is on AND the clock is backlit!! Love those little improvements

Last edited:
I love your car. Do want, seems like you got a good one.

Thanks! It's coming along nicely.

I finished bolting up the new exhaust today.

Pro TIP: Don't tighten the collar that holds the exhaust to the body before you finish tightening the 3 bolts that attach the system to the exhaust manifold. I couldn't figure out why I had a huge exhaust leak in the engine bay until I loosened the collar and found that I could tighten that junction even more.

19814382883_0b384cf289_z.jpg

20247335068_2264f1686c_z.jpg

MMM fresh exhaust

I'm assuming I don't really need the preheater hose right?

Not in your climate. I ditched mine too.

Alright cool, Ill start getting rid of it.

I knocked out a few more little jobs this afternoon

Polished some brightwork:

and cut the tailpipe a little shorter so that I stop bashing my shin into it every time I grab a tool in the garage.

This week I will cut it back a little further and then add a little turn down tip. This is so much better for now since It sits perfectly flush with the bumper:

The system on my car is very nice and has the perfect sound for a sporty DD. It's not loud at all but you can definitely hear it. Not sure what brand it is or where Mike bought it though.

Just a generic from Atlantic muffler- I was tired of the drone at cruise(3000 rpm)

The instrument panel lights have never worked. I took apart the dash last week and plugged the "choke" light back in but didn't see anything else amiss. Today I replaced all the fuses and checked the bulbs in the cluster. They were all good so I tested it again, still broken. Then I reassembled the whole dash and low and behold the instrument panel was glowing a nice green:

As soon as I took this photo I had the bright idea to touch the dimmer switch and all the dash lights went out again. After some playing around with it, I got the lights to come back on but I'm sure as soon as I hit a bump they will go out.

Can I just replace the switch itself?

Does anyone have a spare? or is there an easy bypass?

I also put on a little chrome on the exhaust to cap it off.

It needs to be downsized.

Nice 142, love that color. The best part is that it landed with someone that seems really enthusiastic about it. Keep up the great work.

Nice classic you have there! ;-)
Sadly all of them rusted out here, it is impossible to find them for a reasonable price. If you ever find one...

The instrument panel lights have never worked. I took apart the dash last week and plugged the "choke" light back in but didn't see anything else amiss. Today I replaced all the fuses and checked the bulbs in the cluster. They were all good so I tested it again, still broken. Then I reassembled the whole dash and low and behold the instrument panel was glowing a nice green:

As soon as I took this photo I had the bright idea to touch the dimmer switch and all the dash lights went out again. After some playing around with it, I got the lights to come back on but I'm sure as soon as I hit a bump they will go out.

Can I just replace the switch itself?

Does anyone have a spare? or is there an easy bypass?

Don't know what exact dimmer it has, but I actually managed to renovate the non-really working one in my 244.
Disassembled, cleaned all contacts, glued the resistor wire back, put it back together with a slight layer of grease and it works awesome now.
If everything is there and not broken to pieces, it is pretty easy. :nod:
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/petiww/media/Volvo 244 GL/2015-03-18-210_zps71rkymw1.jpg.html

Nice classic you have there! ;-)
Sadly all of them rusted out here, it is impossible to find them for a reasonable price. If you ever find one...

Don't know what exact dimmer it has, but I actually managed to renovate the non-really working one in my 244.
Disassembled, cleaned all contacts, glued the resistor wire back, put it back together with a slight layer of grease and it works awesome now.
If everything is there and not broken to pieces, it is pretty easy.

Thanks for the photos, that makes me feel empowered to try taking it apart. Since it works intermittently I bet all the parts are there

Took a little road trip after work today and picked up a huge score of parts!

Somehow we managed to fit:

A less rusty hood
2 untorn blue seats
door sill trim
window trim

Can't wait to get back from Monterrey so I can get to installing them!

Well I couldn't wait till next week so I swapped in the blue seats and door trim. It looks a lot better than the torn seats with foam dripping out everywhere. It will look incredible after I clean and vacuum them:

Small update:

Putting the stock downpipe back on my STI so I decided to commute in the 140 for the past few days. It's a nice little car once it gets warmed up. I have ordered a handful of parts from IPD so I can tackle cleaning the carbs and tuning up the ignition. It will be my first time setting points so wish me luck.

Cool car, i went to sweden with a frind to pick up exactly the same car.
My brother has the '73 version of it.

The '72
DSC_0217_zps747ac5ed.jpg

The '73:
IMG_0134.JPG

The color alone makes me jealous :).

Back