home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Default s10 t5 into an early 142

I'm a bit of a nut.

Part of the charm of the early cars, for me, is the long shifter in the front of the cabin. That charm hits its limits though... usually around 75mph in 4th gear.

As such I want a true 5 speed. But I want to do it without loosing the long shifter location.

From what I've been reading, the s10 t5 should help me accomplish this. But I haven't been having much luck with the search functions of TB or Google when it comes to how this might be done in an early 142s.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this swap? Or know of any good resources that might help a knucklehead like me figure it out?

-J
oemoilleaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Tfrasca
Board Member

I posted some links on that other thread you posted in. Get a V8 rear shift T5 and swap to an S10 tail housing. It would be pretty sweet.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I posted some links on that other thread you posted in. Get a V8 rear shift T5 and swap to an S10 tail housing. It would be pretty sweet.
Remember that he will also need the S10 shifter rail. I guess the Ferd one can be shortened to fit, but that seems like an annoying bit of work.

Edit: Lookie here. Nice N cheap!

https://www.allstategear.com/S10-Bor...-p/t5-rail.htm

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
Tfrasca
Board Member

Posting this from the other thread:

Found some of the write ups I mentioned to you. I hope you do it. It would be such a clean solution on an early 140.

Abridged version:
http://inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

No pics anymore, but lots of discussion here:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ctures.280529/

Another:
https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...n-rebuild.html

Last edited by Tfrasca; 01-19-2018 at 07:40 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Ugh you are amazing
Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Posting this from the other thread:

No pics anymore, but lots of discussion here:
This link no worky
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
oemoilleaks
Board Member

What are the reasons for not just using the s10 t5 transmission?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
turbotankshane
Board Member

Ratios, input shaft length, input shaft diameter, crank pilot bushing, are the first things I think of. The redblock swap bits are all centered around the mustang t5. A mustang t5 with the s10 tailshaft housing and other required mods are what the ranger guys do to keep the shifter in the right spot. Should work just fine for you too I’d think.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemoilleaks View Post
This link no worky
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
xmlhack
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
Ratios, input shaft length, input shaft diameter, crank pilot bushing, are the first things I think of. The redblock swap bits are all centered around the mustang t5. A mustang t5 with the s10 tailshaft housing and other required mods are what the ranger guys do to keep the shifter in the right spot. Should work just fine for you too I’d think.
I remeber those days in my 140 4-speed. I wanted a 5th gear or overdrive or something. turning 3500 rpm's at 65 mph will rattle your teeth out . The input shaft is easily replaced. But can't easily fix the ratios. Put it on the projects forum. I'd like to see.

xmlhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Tfrasca
Board Member

When I was measuring my M41 against the T5, I figured that even with the S10 tail housing, you'll still be cutting a new hole in your early 140 for the shifter. The S10 shifter sits a few inches behind the stock shifter, as opposed to 13" behind with the Mustang T5.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #12
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Session View Post
Is it just me, or do those photobucket links not work?

If it is me... how do I fix this for the love of god?!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #13
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
When I was measuring my M41 against the T5, I figured that even with the S10 tail housing, you'll still be cutting a new hole in your early 140 for the shifter. The S10 shifter sits a few inches behind the stock shifter, as opposed to 13" behind with the Mustang T5.

Interesting! I want to keep the center console thing there if possible, There is some room to play but I guess I'd have to figure out where the hole is going to go to see if this is even an option.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #14
Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemoilleaks View Post
Is it just me, or do those photobucket links not work?

If it is me... how do I fix this for the love of god?!
Photobucket blocked hotlinking images unless you pay them an exorbitant amount of money. There are addons for Firefox and Chrome to get around it.
Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #15
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Session View Post
Photobucket blocked hotlinking images unless you pay them an exorbitant amount of money. There are addons for Firefox and Chrome to get around it.
I tried.. but then just got broken links. :( I'm bad at interneting.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
hiperfauto
The Librarian

The stock shifter hole is 12¾" from the bell housing to block mating surface. The S10 tail housing puts the shifter 11½" from the bell housing to transmission mounting face. That only leaves 1¼" for the M45/6/7 bell housing and the adapter plate. I don't think you're going to be able to make the T5/S10 shifter line up with the stock hole in the floor board.

Last edited by hiperfauto; 01-26-2018 at 04:15 PM..
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
The stock shifter hole is 12¾" from the bell housing to block mating surface. The S10 tail housing puts the shifter 11½" from the bell housing to transmission mounting face. That only leaves 1¼" for the M45/6/7 bell housing and the adapter plate. I don' think you're going to be able to make the T5/S10 shifter line up with the stock hole in the floor board.
Yeah, he'll have to cut a new hole or at least enlarge the stock one. But it should definitely fit in the rest of the tunnel without modification.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Yeah, he'll have to cut a new hole or at least enlarge the stock one. But it should definitely fit in the rest of the tunnel without modification.
Enlarging doesn't bother me. What I'm worried about is that it's going to be like 5" closer to my hip and will still require I remove that beautiful center console.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

The S10 T5 can take the power if that is of any concern. I have a S10 T5 stock junkyard in my C10 with a LS swap and it is holding up just fine.

I would not bother with the Ford T5 conversion unless you are throwing over 300hp at it.

The S10 T5 also has a good selection of Hurst shifters available which is way way better than the stock stick.

PM me if you have T5 questions, I just finished two rebuilds and will redo a spare S10 T5 shortly. The Ford is going behind the 960 and the Gen4 T5 is going behind the LS for the 745. If WC you need a countershaft bearing retainer plate. (I have a video on that on youtube) The GM to Ford input shaft bearing retainers are swapable if you want hydraulic.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-St...ring,1945.html
2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon - sons ride - 175k stock
1992 Volvo 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1979 Porsche 911SC - stock
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
1948 Spartan Mansion travel trailer - aluminum greatness
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 AM   #20
oemoilleaks
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
The S10 T5 can take the power if that is of any concern. I have a S10 T5 stock junkyard in my C10 with a LS swap and it is holding up just fine.

I would not bother with the Ford T5 conversion unless you are throwing over 300hp at it.

The S10 T5 also has a good selection of Hurst shifters available which is way way better than the stock stick.

PM me if you have T5 questions, I just finished two rebuilds and will redo a spare S10 T5 shortly. The Ford is going behind the 960 and the Gen4 T5 is going behind the LS for the 745. If WC you need a countershaft bearing retainer plate. (I have a video on that on youtube) The GM to Ford input shaft bearing retainers are swapable if you want hydraulic.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-St...ring,1945.html
I don't know why I never got back to you about this. Well, yes I do... work.

What did you do to adapt the speedo cable? Or is it just you have to get an s10 from certain years? Or the tail housing from certain years?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:29 AM   #21
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
No they are not ALL centered around Mustang T5...

Some saw all tha advantages in the GM V8 T5 and proceeded that way...easier, and cheaper for 240s..

As for ratios the S-10 has good ratios..
For a low powered pick-up.

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #22
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
No they are not ALL centered around Mustang T5...

Some saw all tha advantages in the GM V8 T5 and proceeded that way...easier, and cheaper for 240s..

As for ratios the S-10 has good ratios..
For a low powered pick-up.
Did the GM cases ever come in WC form anyway?

If so, putting together a box with mixed and matched parts is hardly the most difficult thing to do in the world...
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #23
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner

IRRC all of the T5 cases have provisions for mechanical or electronic speedo signal. You would need to remove the tailshaft cover to change toner rings for your needs.

If you have a mechanical output and want electric Dakota Digital has a converter for about $30. Just match the pulse rate with your cars needs.

Yes, you can find WC GM T5s. Gen3 Camaros with the 305 have WC T5s (rare to find now as they are desirable for swaps). Gen4 Camaro V-6 are WC, but with a Ford bellhousing mount. There is a conversion kit to Muncie 4 bolt pattern, but other than that these are fairly worthless.

Many of the T5 parts are interchangeable. You could do Ford WC T5 with the S10 shift rail and tailshaft cover and be set. But really the NWC S10 is not bad and rebuild kits are dirt cheap compared to the WC kits these days. IDK why the WC kits are so expensive now.
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote