home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-28-2019, 11:12 PM   #3126
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I converted a head mount distributor into a CAS and use the DIY 24-1-1 trigger disc.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #3127
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

bumped the boost up today after filling the tank (took about 9.5 gallons, so I burned through a bit lol), at 27psi it made 515whp. Enough to go racin' I reckon. hm, now that I look at the log, I'm not sure everything is kosher... baro is off by 17kpa, it may have only actually been 24-25. hm. must've been pulling vacuum on a key cycle or something. the actual kpa value for the runs was 268-270 which comes out to just under 25psi. it's right on track.

gotta fix the rear main seal tho, it's.. making a yuuge mess now.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:47 PM   #3128
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

pic from today.

black line is just a verification run, same settings as yesterday (minus one degree because.. it made 6whp difference, won't miss that), green is a 2nd gear pull, blue is a 3rd gear pull.

there were some slight shenanigans on the last pull, afr didn't record correctly (or if it did, the car inexplicably got really rich with the same amount of boost and fuel by pw... and since it didn't drop any power I'm thinking the wideband just zonked out for a second), so I don't know exactly what that burble is there. I thought it was earlier in the powerband and just a granular view of the converter fully coupling, but at 6k, the converter is all in. probably gonna get a new sensor for the wideband.

looked into the boost discrepancy. turns out the ms had incorrect baro readings. probably my fault, I key'd it a couple times while it was running and pulling vacuum, and it maxed out the lower bound for barometric pressure. not really used for anything, the baro correction table is zero'd out (Well, 100'd out).

got a couple items to wire up if I have the inputs available.. fuel pressure (was previously wired up, but I think that was with the proefi and the old sensor flaked out) and oil pressure.

Fairly pleased so far, may see about getting some adjustable cam gears and advance the cams a little, see if I can move the powerband down a touch.

I am thrilled to death to have this thing back up and running.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #3129
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Dam, nice one!

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #3130
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

oh and with street tires vs the radials (Which are a bit taller), top speed in 3rd is roughly 165mph. alternator is not really pulling it's weight as much as i'd like. may have to check the grounds, but I was considering upgrading to a 16v system next spring...
Old 11-29-2019, 11:27 PM   #3131
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Why more volts? More amps may be more useful?
Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #3132
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it's like turning up the boost for electronics. coils get hotter, fuel pumps get bigger, injectors fire faster (which I suppose makes them a little bit bigger too). I shouldn't be having amp issues with the current alternator, the only things on for the dyno session were the cooling fan and efi related things (coils, injectors, ecu, pump), which is why i'm going to check the ground situation first. I have a feeling some of the connections have gotten trash in them from sitting idle for a while.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:03 AM   #3133
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I get that, I am going to run 1/0 gauge to the trunk for my fuel pumps and stereo, but none of that stuff wants more than 14.5V, it wants current.

I'm just curious (and learning here) because with the stuff that demands higher input in my (limited to car audio mostly) experience, a solid 14.5 V is best, but current draw is the limiting factor. When there are too many items demanding power, voltage drops because the alternator isn't big enough to supply the amps. You can watch the voltmeter drop when the bass hits, so higher capacity alternator and large capacitors is the usual answer.

But ya, if a ground problem is suspected, gotta start there, curious to see what fixes it.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:29 AM   #3134
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Have you done any port work on the 16v head or just cams/springs/lifters and the manifolds?
~530whp is definitely nothing to sneeze at for some "baseline" tuning.
This thing'll be a ripper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #3135
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Have you done any port work on the 16v head or just cams/springs/lifters and the manifolds?
~530whp is definitely nothing to sneeze at for some "baseline" tuning.
This thing'll be a ripper!
street port. knocked down the divider, cleaned up the bowls, that sort of thing. I never actually checked it, I used measurements from other 16v heads that I flow checked when the bench was set up and operational, it's in the 260ish cfm range on my bench, a stocky stock head is roughly in the 200-205 range. for reference, the head that was on the stroker motor was right around 300cfm at roughly 11-12mm lift.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #3136
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

no good deeds go unpunished, and so it was with the rear main. Turns out the seal itself (Despite it being elring and not OE, not sure what the thought process was there, but I haven't been getting much sleep, so, ymmv. We gon' run n tell dat for the time being) was not leaking, however I did manage to not tighten all the bolts that hold the housing on. not sure what happened there, but it sure as hell made a mess.

the leaks on the transmission remain a bit more unclear, might do some shenanigans there to assist. off hand, I'm guessing the o-rings on the bolts didn't seal up, and for whatever reason, the gasket around the pump (paper, not rubber) didn't seal up. It's worth mentioning the leaks are gravity leaks, not pressure leaks... so the critical stuff the gasket is used for was all fine, it just.. oozed 24/7. figured I would take a swing at some of the ooze spots that are hard to reach with the trans installed. It was fairly straight forward getting the transmission out, esp since Sam stopped by and helped.

so, fun times and self-ownage.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #3137
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

https://youtu.be/tX7jKRANCfg

best time today, 10.78 at 129mph. lot of re-learning how to drive the car and getting the launch working better.. it's still lazy off the line (at 4000rpms and like 20psi), so I've gotta look into that.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #3138
doucheNozzle

Needs more punish juice. Bigger jet, go.

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
‘12 Mazda5 - Work Car
‘06 E350 Ambulance - Work Car
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #3139
boosted12a
weapon of mass detonation

Needs more somthin. Tranny issues? Bathrooms got ya confused again?
09 XC70 3.2L, BLUE
10 335xi, (fun has a price), black
17 expedition El, (short bus), black
85 RX-7 GSL SE(efi'ed), BLACK
76 Suzuki RE5, BLACK
boosted12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #3140
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

it needs less. less short time.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #3141
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Still a dam good run..nice one!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #3142
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

What converter and rear do you have in this?
I wonder if going to a shorter rear end and higher stall would get you something. It sounds like it leaves really gently (intentional to save the 1031?).
I mean, a 1.79 60' isn't bad for a car that has a large spoolie boi.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #3143
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

revmax... I don't even know what the rated stall is, I can make it do whatever I want though and it takes it like a champ.

rear end is welded volvo. 3.54. nothing special. I didn't take it easy on purpose, and on the 10.7 run it hit 29psi on the launch limiter dropping to 23 on the launch... it just left soft probably because it was filthy nasty rich right there. I'll have to play with the dyno to see if I can stall it up, I think it's got a hold on start that I could use to mimic the load it gets, but I bet it's gonna want to spin on the rollers...
Old 12-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #3144
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

this was a total rush job/shakedown day. First time I've driven the car on the street was this morning at 10:30 right before I loaded it on the trailer. It had some sit-up-itis that reared it's head at the track.. the switch I was using to enable/disable launch control (basically, a burnout switch) was faulty, so I ended up re-running the launch control through the button on the shifter.. a great impromptu idea unless you forget to take your damn thumb off the launch button. Did that twice, ran an 11.3 and an 11.4 respectively by hamming it up. On the 11.4, it hit boost cut (??) briefly on the 2-3 shift..
being the nice guy I am to my equipment, I simply added timing right below that point and raised the boost cut limiter so it wouldn't do that again (I did also pull a very small amount of duty cycle out of the bias table). Lot of little things to sort out. the mph was good enough to cut another 3 to 4 tenths off the ET, but gotta get the short time down.

The track was not great, fortunately that wasn't really an issue for me until the last pass where you can see it walk around in first gear. It was still a great day at the track, don't get me wrong at all. Car didn't break, I had a good time with friends, saw some neat stuff (guy down south had a don't BS me build 4.8 RCSB truck and was trying very hard to convert his 4L60 into 4 neutrals), a veritable flock of 5.0's was there... the only downside to the day was I had exactly 1 opportunity to race someone else... and no one wanted to try. after the first pass, they stopped running cars in the other lane.

Oh well. I'll get things sorted and dialed in better and hammer down on it a little more in January (track's closed til then I think)

Best part of the day.. everyone asked if it was LS swapped. It doesn't sound like a v8 at all, wtf....
Old 12-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #3145
RvolvoR
Board Member

fastest not-running to 10 second volvo build ever.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #3146
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Seriously, congrats. Sounds good too!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #3147
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Drop tire pressure? It black tracked for quite a ways downtrack.
Screen door shocks for the front?
Needs a narrow rear axle and tubs so you can get rid of the stink bug attitude and transfer more weight.

Lean out launch, it stumbled bad. Would it be better strategy to have the AFR's right and control power with timing on the launch?
Trans brake?
3.54 Rear gear seems high for the tall tire. What was trap RPM?

Are you data logging runs?

Last edited by Dirty Rick; 12-09-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #3148
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
fastest not-running to 10 second volvo build ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Drop tire pressure? It black tracked for quite a ways downtrack.
Screen door shocks for the front?
Needs a narrow rear axle and tubs so you can get rid of the stink bug attitude and transfer more weight.

Lean out launch, it stumbled bad. Would it be better strategy to have the AFR's right and control power with timing on the launch?
Trans brake?
3.54 Rear gear seems high for the tall tire. What was trap RPM?

Are you data logging runs?
That's a lot to unpack (and some of it was addressed above) lol

It didn't spin off the line, that last pass was as much a case of the track going away as it was anything... the previous 3 runs were absolutely uneventful.
Launch was waaay rich, didn't get much time to play with everything as it was a shakedown day, not a max effort day. Several things stopped working since the last time the car went to the track.. most notably several switches on the dash that control things like launch control. So... it didn't hit hard off the line at all. No trans brake. not going to worry about that right now, would really like a forward pattern brake because I really like my shifter, but something is probably gonna have to give in that department at some point.

gear ratio is about right for the target, just not for the current state of affairs. 129mph trap speed, going through the traps at 6800 or so. When it was trapping 142 on the previous setup, it was up in the 7's, so there is that.

link to the post with the rough engine specs:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...postcount=3079

trans is as before, th400 with looped gov pressure (i.e. full pressure all the time), modified booster valve and higher line pressure spring (tci spring). it's nothing crazy, basically stock with select modifications done as per the article on nastyz28/crankshaft coalition wiki.. dual feed mod, 4L80 drum and sprag, I think it's running a 6 6 and 4 clutch count.

to launch it, I load it up in 3rd where I can lean on the converter without really working the brakes too hard, and hitting the launch button (previously the brake switch, currently the button on the shifter.. I have a tendency to not let go of that though, so we'll be putting it back on the brake switch after I replace the inline kill switch), and when the desired criteria are met, drop to 1 and let fly. This has the added benefit of pre-loading everything ahead of time vs the ever destructive neutral-bomb that one seems to get from a trans brake or manual transmission launch with a tight clutch.

I will probably make the jump to an 8.8 in the wagon (well, both of them), and at that point I'll start looking harder at a transbrake, and depending on where I am with engine development, a switch to a glide. Maybe not though, kinda all depends. The th400 is likely going to need some love in the long run (nothing terribly serious, but costly enough to consider a couple of options.. I rather like it TBH) if the rpm range is going to keep climbing up.. as it sits now I may play with it on the rollers to see where I really should set the rev limit, it wasn't dropping off hard at 8100, and if I can run it a little higher at the track, it may run out a little better up top.

with the 'off season' (~ month til the next sunday test & tune probably), I'll be going through and cleaning things up in the harness, wiring up some additional sensors that I should've hooked up a long time ago, working on the launch part. Don't need a track for that, can use the driveway or somewhere else with a clean surface. It's probably already fixed (it was sitting in a range on the map outside of where it was hitting on the dyno, and I just didn't go back and extrapolate across ahead of time), so we'll see on that one.

When I get to a point where it's a traction issue on the launch I will invoke one (or more) of the strategies to control power, probably wheel speed differential with a primary control being timing, it's hard(er) to add boost after you've pulled it back, and playing with the afrs can potentially create other issues, so.. that leaves timing. (and nitrous I suppose, but I'm not spraying it currently, and pulling timing on the spray works well too)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #3149
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

So, as hinted in the 940 thread, while the 940 is down and busted (heh), I'm gonna test out the 78mm turbo on the gold car. More for s&g than anything else, but also to see how it responds, may help narrow down the field of hx-52 replacements (not that I've exceeded the capability of the 52)
Old 12-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #3150
turbotankshane
Board Member

Catching back up on this car and your work has been inspirational. I recently got my s10 going again with a little bit more power but I think I'm gonna have to do a 16v in it.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote