home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
ronisolomondds

Question Making the most sense out of my absurd B20F collection

Over the last couple years my Volvo parts hoarding got a little crazy and I want to get some direction here. Right now I have four B20Fs and an AQ130C. The status of each motor varies, so let me just give a quick rundown:

B20F #1 - 8 bolt crank, came in my 1800S. Rebuilt sometime in the 1980s by a shop in California, bored .015 over with Mahle pistons. I spun a rod bearing about 1/8 mile from my house in it two years ago and it is in pieces right now. I have a spare 8 bolt crank and rods for this motor already.

B20F #2 - 8 bolt crank, purchased used from a buddy of mine who thought it was stock. When I opened it up, I discovered it was bored to 2.1L, the head was shaved to E specs, it has an Isky/IPD high rev lifter kit but single valve springs. The cam is unknown, but I think it is a little hotter than stock based on idle. I installed a HD oil pump, as well as steel timing gears. It's a great motor; I have it in my 1800S right now with dual SU carbs with Grose jets and KD needles. I am happy with the performance of this engine and it will stay in the 1800 for the foreseeable future. This is more or less my baseline for what I expect from a B20.

B20F #3 - 6 bolt crank, turns over by hand, but hasn't been run in well over a decade. It sat on a trailer in a field for the last 10 years. Came from an 1800ES

B20F #4 - 6 bolt crank, short block, seized. Also from an 1800ES.

AQ130C - 6 bolt crank, last ran in a boat used on a freshwater lake about 2 years ago, but one of the freeze plugs blew out while in storage.

I have multiple 6 and 8 bolt cranks, flywheels, as well as several random parts. My spare parts inventory looks something like this:

Isky VV71 cam
Isky high rev lifter kit
B21 M rods with dished pistons
A second set of 24mm wrist pin B20F rods
Steel timing gears
A recently built HD oil pump using the IPD kit
New rings for .015 pistons, late B20/B21 bearings, bushings, upgraded silicone seals, freeze plugs, etc
Bronze valve guides
Bigger valves from VP, 46mm & 38mm
A set of ITBs off a 1999 GSX-R
A couple of Bosch B20 distributors with Pertronix
IPD silicone leads
Bosch blue coils

There's probably a lot more things I am forgetting, but that's all I can recall at the moment.

All things considered, what I want to do right now is focus on B20F #1 and make it roadworthy again, just with a little more power than stock. I am going to put this motor into my 1966 122S wagon, with a M41 with J-Type overdrive. I figure I still need to spend some money to build it properly, so I am trying to make a small budget for parts and machining.

Looking at everything I have, I am thinking of the following: VV71 cam, Isky lifter kit, install a new 8 bolt crank that I have, swap the .015 pistons over to the other set of stock B20F rods, replace the bearings, bushings, and piston rings. Use the HD oil pump, steel timing gears, bronze valve guides, new freeze plugs, seals, gaskets, etc. Send the head out for some porting on the exhaust side and shave to B20E specs. Send the 8 bolt flywheel out for resurfacing, and have them take 3-4 lbs off it. Use the same style SU dual carb setup currently on my 1800S (Grose jets, KD needles). Pertronix ignition with the IPD silicone leads and Bosch blue coil.

I've been trying to find the Isky double valve springs here in the US, but it seems like only IPD has them in stock, and I'd still need to get the tool to fly cut the valve seats. VP couldn't give me an ETA on the double springs, and Isky didn't have them stocked the last time I checked. Is there an alternative spring I can use instead?

Premium gas in my area varies from ethanol free 90 to 10% Ethanol 93. The 1800S gets E0 90 most of the time and I never have any pinging.

Am I missing anything here? I just want to make the best use out of what I have without spending a ton of money; I don't need this one to be a screamer, but I would like some additional power that can be delivered in a sensible way.

Thanks in advance!
ronisolomondds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
planetman
Board Member

What pistons do you plan on using?

FYI, I have new Isky dual springs and retainers for $215.00.

I also have a seat cutter for the dual valve springs. Isky and IPD no longer offer them and their supplier won't make small quantities, so I had to have 2 cutters custom made locally. I rent the cutters for $30.00 with a refundable $150.00 deposit.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
JERIC
Board Member

I wouldn’t use the stock 8 bolt rods, use the M rods and have them lightened and balanced the stock 8bolts are a little week
JERIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
ronisolomondds

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
What pistons do you plan on using?
I would prefer to keep the Mahle .015 pistons that are with this motor now.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
ronisolomondds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERIC View Post
I wouldn’t use the stock 8 bolt rods, use the M rods and have them lightened and balanced the stock 8bolts are a little week
I have an idea for a higher horsepower motor build in the future (~200HP), so that was my only reason to save the M rods I have. But if you think it would make enough of a difference, I could switch them out.