home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Old Iron
I Roll

Default 240 Engine Bay Wire harness Tucks

I am slowly getting ready to put Old Iron back together. (... well stripping it again first). Has anyone had good success with tucking their wiring harness, have recommendations on which to tuck and which not to. Where to penetrate through the sheet metal? Also, would this be a good time to re-insulate the harness with modern wrappings And what to use? Harness is in good shape, but I want it to stay that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E65613B1-B7BD-4574-B16D-9EFF3CC5B912.jpg (193.7 KB, 230 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
No sarcastic replies from Redwood Chair necessary

Last edited by Old Iron; 11-14-2020 at 06:40 PM..
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

You could try checking in with Hand Scorpio for some suggestions. He tucked the wiring on his old 242 turbo many moons ago.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Old Iron
I Roll

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Old Iron
I Roll

This website is amazing. Useless off topic threads that get to 100 pages within two days. Real Turbobricks talk, why would you care.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
DD Ranch
Board Member

I don't have any suggestions but I'm very interested in seeing what you do.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
This website is amazing. Useless off topic threads that get to 100 pages within two days. Real Turbobricks talk, why would you care.
because Volvo
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
D.E
tvåförti

Maybe pull the wiring out through the inner wing behind the strut towers and sneak it back in behind the headlights? Mount the relays where they normally go on the inner wing but on the other side of the sheetmetal. Might need some elongating of wires and would be a PITA to troubleshoot but it might be the easiest way.
D.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
90volvo
Board Member

I recently rewired my 240. But I wired it for megasquirt. Kept wiring in usual spots but I covered it all with some nice red and black wire loom. I was gonna hide it all but decided not to cause I didnt want to pull the fenders if I needed to trouble shoot.

1985 240 Work in progress.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #9
283SD
Board Member

I have thought about that on the V8 wagon, cleans up the engine bay. I relocated the battery to the right butt cheek when I first built the car to clear up the engine bay. But you will expose the wires to the wheel well debris.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
I don't have any suggestions but I'm very interested in seeing what you do.
I’ll keep this updated, maybe something good will come of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E View Post
Maybe pull the wiring out through the inner wing behind the strut towers and sneak it back in behind the headlights? Mount the relays where they normally go on the inner wing but on the other side of the sheetmetal. Might need some elongating of wires and would be a PITA to troubleshoot but it might be the easiest way.
I’m going to keep searching and think this through a bit before I pull the trigger. My buddy wires up for trucks, so I may see if he has any tricks of the trade that can be shared here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
I recently rewired my 240. But I wired it for megasquirt. Kept wiring in usual spots but I covered it all with some nice red and black wire loom. I was gonna hide it all but decided not to cause I didnt want to pull the fenders if I needed to trouble shoot.
Have photos of how the harness looked when you were done?

[QUOTE=283SD;6130114]I have thought about that on the V8 wagon, cleans up the engine bay. I relocated the battery to the right butt cheek when I first built the car to clear up the engine bay. But you will expose the wires to the wheel well debris.

Thankfully I don’t have any plans to daily drive the car or drive it in rain if I can avoid it. It does raise a good point about possibly putting any of the relays or connections that would be relocated to outside the engine bay between the fender into a box similar to the engine bay fuse boxes on newer cars. I wonder if I mounted it forward and low enough if I would be able to access from below without taking the fender off.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
nel621
Board Member

I know you want your engine bay to have a clean look. First down side is extending the wires. You will need to be methodical so that the extended wires have the SAME color wire end to end, this includes any 2 color (tracer) wires. Next down side is if you LOOM the wires. They will look nice BUT if you ever have an issue with the electrical it will be a royal PIA finding a short in a LOOMED harness.
Had a friend who had a really clean 240 engine compartment, all chromed parts and loomed the wires. Very nice clean look. Then something happened that required tracing some wires, I forget what. It became a huge pia to undo and find where the problem was. Keep in mind he loomed a brand new wire harness!
Just something to think about. Just because you're not going to be using the car much won't stop the insulation or wires from oxidizing or failing long term.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
Old Iron
I Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
I know you want your engine bay to have a clean look. First down side is extending the wires. You will need to be methodical so that the extended wires have the SAME color wire end to end, this includes any 2 color (tracer) wires. Next down side is if you LOOM the wires. They will look nice BUT if you ever have an issue with the electrical it will be a royal PIA finding a short in a LOOMED harness.
Had a friend who had a really clean 240 engine compartment, all chromed parts and loomed the wires. Very nice clean look. Then something happened that required tracing some wires, I forget what. It became a huge pia to undo and find where the problem was. Keep in mind he loomed a brand new wire harness!
Just something to think about. Just because you're not going to be using the car much won't stop the insulation or wires from oxidizing or failing long term.
All great points! Some good food for thought.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #13
Lankku
Board Member

Engine bay cleans up alot if you even move the firewall part of the wiring inside. That's what I did with "B6284T" when I swapped the steering to left side. I did consider hiding it all but the sides aren't really that noticeable.

I did hide the wiring on the 142 that I had years ago. Winter driving, trackdays, dailying, etc. No issues.

If you install the wiring inside the fenders there isn't that much debris because of fender liners. Just dust over time.
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #14
Old Iron
I Roll

Lankku, these cars look incredible. If my wagon can come out half as much as that, I would be super happy!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #15
90volvo
Board Member

Here’s link of wire job.
https://imgur.com/gallery/koEtIWD?s=sms
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote