home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #76
spock345
Board Member

Came across a swap idea. Some guy local to me has a sedan swapped with a 327 SBC. The tricky bit is that most end up chopping up the firewall to make it fit. This guy was able to make it fit by enlarging the hole for the radiator support and moving the radiator forward. The upside is that you can fit a small block in it. The downsides are that you have to modify the front radiator mounting, can only run block hugging manifolds, and you have to figure out how the distributor will fit. Since the SBC's distributor is in the back the guy had to remove the heater box. Maybe a small block Ford like a 289 or something would work well with the distributor up front?

It seems like most of the sheet metal work was cutting that center section with the arch and fabricating a new bracket holding the hood latch that ties it to the nose.

2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:44 PM   #77
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

IIRC small block ford is a little narrower but appreciably longer. Worse, it has a front sump.

LS might fit better since they have no distributor but the intakes seem to run to the back of the engine.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #78
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyGarcia View Post
IIRC small block ford is a little narrower but appreciably longer. Worse, it has a front sump.

LS might fit better since they have no distributor but the intakes seem to run to the back of the engine.
Yeah, it seems that the SBF is an inch longer than an SBC.

The Buick/Oldsmobile 215 is about the same external dimensions as an SBC but has the distributor in the front. You also shed 200 pounds from the motor. An SBC is around 500lbs but the 215 is 320lbs. A B20 weighs about 340lbs.

With mounting it farther forward to avoid cutting the firewall a lighter motor would help with weight distribution.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #79
stick70
All the gauges

Any swap you can imagine with a 5 speed trans you'll have to cut the trans tunnel up, maybe the firewall too. The rear axle in my car is from an 1800es, and while hard to find worked perfectly. Nothing wrong with an 8.8 in there either though, Andrew seems fine with his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #80
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Yeah idk what's gonna happen with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #81
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
If you can get a motor that can fit a T5 or something similar then you could just cut a tunnel out of a junked 240.
Both the 4g63 and the k-series have t5 adapter plates out there. Then you'd just need to work out a driveshaft (moostang) and an adapter dual BP ford>volvo, wouldnt be too bad to whip one out on a lathe and a drill press..

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #82
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Both the 4g63 and the k-series have t5 adapter plates out there. Then you'd just need to work out a driveshaft (moostang) and an adapter dual BP ford>volvo, wouldnt be too bad to whip one out on a lathe and a drill press..
Where have you seen a k-series t5 adapter? I need one.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #83
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbusman66 View Post
Where have you seen a k-series t5 adapter? I need one.
saw one on a k swapped miata... thought he said it was a t5, but might have been a t9. Thats all i'm finding now.

Aother option would be the s2k 6 speed.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #84
cosbySweater
Board Member

yea pretty much count on dry sumping it at that point or some major custom oil pan/pump/subframe work

i had a k24 and i was going to install it in my fairmont and for the life of me i could not find a happy spot for it, ended up going with a 3sge beams motor because they are dirt cheap and come with a 6 speed. never finished it but it fit well in there, they are front sump as well but you can work around it because they have the oil pump on the front of the block and not dangling out the bottom
1995 Porsche 993
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #85
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
yea pretty much count on dry sumping it at that point or some major custom oil pan/pump/subframe work

i had a k24 and i was going to install it in my fairmont and for the life of me i could not find a happy spot for it, ended up going with a 3sge beams motor because they are dirt cheap and come with a 6 speed. never finished it but it fit well in there, they are front sump as well but you can work around it because they have the oil pump on the front of the block and not dangling out the bottom
that is a surprisingly nice engine to work with. I love working on my buddies fastback 77 celica. AND THE NOISE such a good noise.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #86
cwdodson88
Board Member

https://www.holley.com/products/driv.../parts/RM-4012

k24>T56...
Old 03-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #87
James M
Bored member

1.9tdi T5 amazon?
Bellhousing already exists

This thread drives my amazon wagon lust
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #88
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
1.9tdi T5 amazon?
Bellhousing already exists

This thread drives my amazon wagon lust
I've thought about this repeatedly. I also keep looking at the W56/W58 adapters.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:34 PM   #89
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #90
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
That's where I'm at.
It needs all the hydraulics replaced, fuel tank cleaned, an alternator, and battery.
And a wash (or maybe not just to bother Kyle).
Old 03-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #91
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Are the calipers good? Throw on some new hoses and blow out the hard lines. Clutch stuff shouldn’t cost much. Has it already been converted to an alternator?
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #92
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Are the calipers good? Throw on some new hoses and blow out the hard lines. Clutch stuff shouldn’t cost much. Has it already been converted to an alternator?
Pretty sure calipers are junk. A full set of stainless hoses were included with the car when I got it. Looks like about $180 to do the clutch hydraulics from VP which isn't bad.
It doesn't have an alternator or generator on it right now, but I have no issue spending the ~$130 from SwEm to install a Delco 10si. I'm fairly certain FarmUse already converted the wiring for an alternator.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #93
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Pretty sure calipers are junk. A full set of stainless hoses were included with the car when I got it. Looks like about $180 to do the clutch hydraulics from VP which isn't bad.
It doesn't have an alternator or generator on it right now, but I have no issue spending the ~$130 from SwEm to install a Delco 10si. I'm fairly certain FarmUse already converted the wiring for an alternator.
The SwEm bracket is pretty nice. A good quality part. Although I'd get a good quality alternator. There are a lot of crappy 10si units out there. I've had to cobble together working ones from my growing graveyard of alternators before. Still a lot easier to deal with than sourcing parts or replacements for a Motorola or Bosch unit.

The calipers may need a rebuild. Rock Auto should have the seals and the calipers are the same as those on 60s and early 70s Jaguars. The pistons can be found pretty easily by searching for the Jag parts.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #94
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
The SwEm bracket is pretty nice. A good quality part. Although I'd get a good quality alternator. There are a lot of crappy 10si units out there. I've had to cobble together working ones from my growing graveyard of alternators before. Still a lot easier to deal with than sourcing parts or replacements for a Motorola or Bosch unit.

The calipers may need a rebuild. Rock Auto should have the seals and the calipers are the same as those on 60s and early 70s Jaguars. The pistons can be found pretty easily by searching for the Jag parts.
I'm probably going to go ahead and spring for the new VP calipers. My track record with rebuilding old school girling calipers has been poor to say the least.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:04 PM   #95
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
I'm probably going to go ahead and spring for the new VP calipers. My track record with rebuilding old school girling calipers has been poor to say the least.
I have some good used ones that came off mine.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:40 PM   #96
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

Just bought all the stuff to replace all of the clutch hydraulics. Hoping to make some progress over spring break next week.