home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
N97746
Board Member

Default Trans fluid flow path

Am about to plumb in a trans cooler in my +T. Can anybody give me the proper flow direction from the tranny through the rad and cooler then back to the trans. Want to be sure before I start bending pipes. Thanks
N97746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/...7xFlowPath.jpg
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
N97746
Board Member

Thanks, That confirms that the forward line from the tranny is the outflow. I was unsure if the fluid should route to the air cooler first and then back through the radiator cooler then to trans, or the other way around. I've seen diagrams of it both ways. Some sites even recommend bypassing the radiator cooler completely when using an air cooler.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:56 AM   #4
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

AFAIK, the tranny fluid needs to be at a certain temperature range, so the radiator does the job of warming it up but then keeping it at a given temperature. If using an external tranny cooler, I wonder if you would be happier with adding it after the radiator but then with a thermostat so it can be bypassed until it is too hot.
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
N97746
Board Member

That's sort of the direction I was going to go with. Trans to cooler, back to radiator then returning to trans. But I have seen the opposite done on other sites.
I was hoping someone with a stock 7/9 turbo would chime in to see how Volvo did it on the stock cars.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

I have never posted a single useful post in this site, and would like to keep my record, but I think the lower drawing in

stolen from https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Volv...9/1378185.html, might give you ideas. Incidentally, my own car, which supposedly is a turbo from factory, does not have the fancy tiny cooler.
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
N97746
Board Member

Dalek, Thanks for taking the time to look that up. If I'm reading it right seems that the fluid goes first to the radiator then to the cooler before returning. Funny, I thought it might be the other way around so that the tranny would have more of a constant temp fluid being returned. Guess Volvo knows best.