home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
thismachine13
Board Member

Default Belly pan ordered.....what is the "air guide"?

Just bought a nice '90 244 and am replacing the little things that get lost over the years from previous owners. Belly pan is on its way but now I'm reading that there is another piece in front of that? Air guide?

I've found one pic of it searching through the forums. Where can I pick this up? Salvage yard only?

Thanks
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
TestPoint
Board Member

Only place I know of. Never seen a reproduction.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
larry818
Board Member

The plastic belly pan is crap, the early 240s came with steel pans that fit and don't break.
larry818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

A 90 would use this style.

83-90

photo 24083-90AirPickup1.jpg

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
thismachine13
Board Member

Great info and thanks for the pic Redwood Chair.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry818 View Post
The plastic belly pan is crap, the early 240s came with steel pans that fit and don't break.
The older metal pan had vent with screening over it in the front of it...whereas the plastic one is solid (no vent)

I've had both and as far as keeping the rain/snow out, I prefered the plastic ones.

but the metal ones are tougher.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #7
larry818
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
The older metal pan had vent with screening over it in the front of it...whereas the plastic one is solid (no vent)

I've had both and as far as keeping the rain/snow out, I prefered the plastic ones.

but the metal ones are tougher.
Some had the screen, others were louvered such that stuff stayed out.
larry818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
Redwood Chair
- Stock PSI Or Bust -

Commando is longer,

photo 240CommandoAirPickup1.jpg

91+ is the same as the 83-90 but it has the cut out for the AC hard lines that run back down the frame rail.

photo 240 91-93 Air Pickup 1_zpslu1xkuhc.jpg
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #9
Mr. V
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry818 View Post
The plastic belly pan is crap
No it isn't.

Mine's lasted a decade and a half and it's in good shape.

Then again, I don't beat the bark off it.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:29 AM   #10
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

^If it's got all 7? fasteners and a flat bar and/or some large fender washers to spread the load out, it will take a paint can at 45mph . Can't be that bad, except hosing all the white paint off

Seals the crud out nicely.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
thismachine13
Board Member

Sooooo.......where can I gets me one?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #12
thismachine13
Board Member

Disregard......Johann240 has me sorted.

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
TWD
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismachine13 View Post
Just bought a nice '90 244 and am replacing the little things that get lost over the years from previous owners. Belly pan is on its way but now I'm reading that there is another piece in front of that? Air guide?

I've found one pic of it searching through the forums. Where can I pick this up? Salvage yard only?

Thanks
The part was still available from the dealer last year and is inexpensive. If you need a part number let me know and I will crawl under my '88 244.
TWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
240 JAH
Savethevolvos.com

I'm not sure why anyone even bothers with the plastic pans anyways when you can buy a nice aluminum one from IPD . The only thing I modify on them is I weld a piece of aluminum to block off the IPD logo that's burned out . So far I've bought two for two of my 240's . One of the first mods I make on them .
Seller/Buyer feedback
1967 122s Restoration Thread
240 JAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 JAH View Post
I'm not sure why anyone even bothers with the plastic pans anyways when you can buy a nice aluminum one from IPD . The only thing I modify on them is I weld a piece of aluminum to block off the IPD logo that's burned out . So far I've bought two for two of my 240's . One of the first mods I make on them .
Because they spring back when something hits them. Unlike an aluminum one that is too thin to do any real protecting of the car and dents when struck. An aluminum splash shield sounds like a huge waste of money to me.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 JAH View Post
I don't really like the aluminum one...doesn't seal and fit the body/around the tie rods as well as OE. I also hangs way forward and is more likely than the OE to hit stuff.

Like I said, with some big fender washers or flat to spread the load, the plastic one will take a paint can.

The plastic gets brittle and ages, sure, but a decent plastic one goes quite a while (maybe worse in the south with more heat and UV?).

The early metal one is good, but I'd block off the "vent."
Old 10-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
240 JAH
Savethevolvos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
I don't really like the aluminum one...doesn't seal and fit the body/around the tie rods as well as OE. I also hangs way forward and is more likely than the OE to hit stuff.

Like I said, with some big fender washers or flat to spread the load, the plastic one will take a paint can.

The plastic gets brittle and ages, sure, but a decent plastic one goes quite a while (maybe worse in the south with more heat and UV?).

The early metal one is good, but I'd block off the "vent."
The two I have fit great and seal up really well . I also don't lower my cars so maybe that's what you are referring to when they are more likely to hit ? I know the aluminum pan does a much better job at keeping out water from splashing up than the plastic one . I had an issue in some heavy rains but once I switched to the aluminum pan I no longer had the problem .

So what sort of roads would you be driving on to be hitting that pan?
Old 10-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #18
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

IDK, I always found the plastic one kept all the water out. It totally seals around the body there basically with just small openings for the tie rods. The aluminum thing has huge gaps on the sides.

I don't lower anything either. I just ended up thinking the aluminum one wasn't really any better and a lot more expensive and a whole lot worse at actually sealing all the dirt and water out.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
IDK, I always found the plastic one kept all the water out. It totally seals around the body there basically with just small openings for the tie rods. The aluminum thing has huge gaps on the sides.

I don't lower anything either. I just ended up thinking the aluminum one wasn't really any better and a lot more expensive and a whole lot worse at actually sealing all the dirt and water out.

The plastic pan is molded/form fitted. IPD's aluminum pan is not going to do a better job of sealing against water intrusion. None of my cars are lowered either. I don't hit things in the roadways. My customer's, that's a whole different issue. Who knows how they drive. A common belly pan damage scenario is forgetting about the parking curbs in front of the car and driving right over them. The plastic pan can take a hit like that and spring back. The steel and aluminum pans are pretty much done after that.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
Mr. V
Board Member

I believe the use of the belly pan leads to the longevity of our bricks, no question in my mind.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
240 JAH
Savethevolvos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
The plastic pan is molded/form fitted. IPD's aluminum pan is not going to do a better job of sealing against water intrusion. None of my cars are lowered either. I don't hit things in the roadways. My customer's, that's a whole different issue. Who knows how they drive. A common belly pan damage scenario is forgetting about the parking curbs in front of the car and driving right over them. The plastic pan can take a hit like that and spring back. The steel and aluminum pans are pretty much done after that.
However the plastic pan will not protect as well against those mishaps ! I guess that was my selling point for the aluminum pans.

I only remember the pan on my 88 . I remember it being crap and I didn't want to spend $40 on another plastic pan . It has been a while sense I was able to look at a stock one installed So I crawled under a few of my 240's and saw a fairly nice one under the 242GT but it seems thicker and better build than the original I had on my 88 . The 88 244 and 86 245 I have, both have the IPD aluminum pans on them. I guess I would have to take a good hard look at a newish stock Volvo one sometime again.

Here is the one on the 242 GT .

this is the IPD pan on the 245

So I see your point Kjets On a Plane

how thick are the ones they sell as a replacement ? This GT one is rather thick! it might actually take a good hit . But I still want to say that I remember the 88 one being thin. Now that I am actually looking at all this again I may weld some aluminum in to fill those gaps up higher on the IPD one. but They do work great and I have had them on the cars a very long time.

I may take a turn at purchasing a plastic replacement for the diesel 240 and I have that 92 I just picked up . So if they are decent enough replacements I may do both. I mean you can buy 3 for less than one aluminum one so I totally get the cost factor.

Last edited by 240 JAH; 10-10-2015 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #22
240 JAH
Savethevolvos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I believe the use of the belly pan leads to the longevity of our bricks, no question in my mind.
Yea ! whichever one you use I would say they are a must !

someone had made a decent Stainless one under my 86 when I bought it . I gave it to a friend to put on his 240 when I replaced it with the IPD one.

Last edited by 240 JAH; 10-10-2015 at 02:44 PM..
Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #23
thismachine13
Board Member

Wait...wait. So is the belly pan that I ordered from eEuroparts http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4279...y-Pan-1382407/
and the pics that Redwood Chair posted basically the same thing?

I understood the belly pan and the "air guide" as two different pieces.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
240 JAH
Savethevolvos.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismachine13 View Post
Wait...wait. So is the belly pan that I ordered from eEuroparts http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4279...y-Pan-1382407/
and the pics that Redwood Chair posted basically the same thing?

I understood the belly pan and the "air guide" as two different pieces.
They are . Sorry for any confusion from my other post' .

Here is shot of the air direction thingy on the 88 .

The earlier style didn't even have that part open . At least not on this 1979 GT .
Old 10-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #25
thismachine13
Board Member

From your pics......is the air guide held on with sheet metal clips or are there supposed to be bolted somehow. Apologies for all the questions. My OCD kicks in on these sorts of things and I want it secured like the factory had it.