home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
Radtap
Board Member

Default Anybody use flowmaster mufflers?

Wondering if anybody has specifically used a flowmaster super 44 on their 240 na or turbo and how did it sound? Got one laying in my shop, I wanna put an exhaust on my car soonish but all the mufflers I hear make it sound like a pos rice burner. Or any other muffler suggestions to give it a bit more of a deeper less raspy/tinny noise. My other idea is slap a cutout valve in there and straight pipe just to annoy the HOA and close it when they roll around
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
white855T
Board Member

It will be drone-y. I prefer magnaflow. If you want something that sounds good, you're going to have to drop some coin.
white855T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
esmth
Board Member

I ran a NA side pipe with a super 44 for quite a while, lol. I did not like the volume but I do miss the sound it made. I'll see if I can find some old videos.

Right now I have a spun cat and a straight through 18" round magnaflow which was originally installed when I had the turbo engine but now back to NA it sounds like a ricer honda. I bet a chambered one will sound way better.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
OldCarNewTricks
Board Member

I don't recommend playing games with any HOA, that just sounds like a bad ending. However, on my NA, I have a round Magnaflow with stock pre muffler still in place. I'm happy with it. They're both straight through, and it is quiet enough that it won't bother anyone
OldCarNewTricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Radtap
Board Member

I was thinking the chambered ones would help with the drone, I’d be daily driving it and most of my drive is 20 minutes straight down a long road so wouldn’t wanna hear that to and from work everyday, car is na now but will be turbo here pretty soon, my other thought is upping pipe size to reduce some of that drone and rasp
Old 09-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Dan
Fought Covid and won

Historically few people like flowmasters on a 4. I run one on my V8 740 and love it
Old 09-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
122power
dude

I have one on a lemons wagon. Sounds rad at idle. Like a v8 almost. Seems ok but it is super drony on decel in upper rpm range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Ring,ring,ring

"Hello"

"Do you work on Volvo ...

*Click - bzzzzzz*
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
2manyturbos

I had one on a LS1 powered 4th gen Camaro. It came that way when I bought it. I hated it. It was about like being in a P51 Mustang. I couldn't hear anything over the drone of the engine. The spectators loved it when I Autocrossed the car.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #9
Dan
Fought Covid and won

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
I had one on a LS1 powered 4th gen Camaro. It came that way when I bought it. I hated it. It was about like being in a P51 Mustang. I couldn't hear anything over the drone of the engine. The spectators loved it when I Autocrossed the car.
Mine doesn't drone. I think I have one with an extra chamber. Mine is 3 chamber
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
2manyturbos

The one I had looked literally like a box. It also dumped right past the rear axle which did not help matters.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Historically few people like flowmasters on a 4. I run one on my V8 740 and love it
Yeah I know they’re not really 4cyl mufflers but I have two collecting dust after I straight piped my buddys challenger and thought I might give it a go if anyone else has, I have a couple cherry bombs but I’ve never liked how those sound on smaller engines
Old 09-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
Dvroofer
Board Member

I have a super 44 I could try out and let you know if that’s what type your looking at. Never ran it on the Volvo but great in a pair behind a v-8
Dvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #13
90volvo
Board Member

Ive just been running glasspacks backwards so it flows better. I was afraid it would be to loud but with turbo its sounds great. The guy at ex. shop said flowmasters are great but they have problems with the baffles coming loose and rattling but did say that takes a couple of years.

1985 240 Work in progress.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
mikep
The MP

Wouldn’t a pair behind a v8 be two 4cyl mufflers?

Also,
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...ght=Flowmaster
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
Ive just been running glasspacks backwards so it flows better. I was afraid it would be to loud but with turbo its sounds great. The guy at ex. shop said flowmasters are great but they have problems with the baffles coming loose and rattling but did say that takes a couple of years.
The 44s I have we’re on my buddys car from 2010-2019 and the baffles are still rock solid, I’ve never heard of that and I have a decent amount of experience with muscle car exhausts but I guess that can apply to any chambered muffler, I’m gonna have to replace most of the exhaust system when the turbo goes in anyway, just looking for good but not obnoxious options
Old 09-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
Radtap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Wouldn’t a pair behind a v8 be two 4cyl mufflers?

Also,
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...ght=Flowmaster
Looks like the video links are broken? Damn shame I wanted to hear them, might not work on mobile though
Old 09-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #17
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I like these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...xoC9pcQAvD_BwE

They sound good and are way thicker steel then Flowmaster or Magnaflow, they last twice as long and cost a lot less.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:05 PM   #18
Radtap
Board Member

Got any video of it I could hear?
Old 09-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #19
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I don't have any vids, I used them on my 740T build years ago. I bought 2 for my LS swap but they aren't on the car yet.

Here is a couple other peoples vids, tons more out there but you can google them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4i9r4x8M4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raY2ho42dOc
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #20
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Borla ProXS is still under $100 and sounds great on a b230. I had an NA 240 with a Flowmaster and it had a lot of drone and didn't really sound good anyway.

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

I used a 2.5" flowmaster on my turbo and it was louder than I'd like but the real fail was the internal deflector coming loose and making a horrible screeching sound as it moved around inside. Upgraded to a Dynamax Ultra Flow SS and enjoyed that till I went up to 3" Magnaflow.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #22
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Any aftermarket round or oval can “turbo” muffler. They will have no baffles, some sort of packing, and will have the least amount of drone on a 4cyl engine.

I’ve used flowmaster and other chamber style mufflers on multiple 4cyl cars, they all sound terrible.

Head work: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349975

Temp Sender Adapters: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348169
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #23
HiSPL
Fanking Champion 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtap View Post
Yeah I know they’re not really 4cyl mufflers but I have two collecting dust after I straight piped my buddys challenger and thought I might give it a go if anyone else has, I have a couple cherry bombs but I’ve never liked how those sound on smaller engines
Use a Cherry Bomb in the middle and the Flowmaster at the end. Or the other way around.

You don't say how big the Cherry Bombs are, but another thing you can do is split the exhaust into two pipes and install one Cherry Bomb towards the beginning and the other towards the end then recombine the exhaust. The 2 un-equal lengths will help prevent drone. It's basically tuning the pipe for two different resonances and they each have louder and softer RPM ranges. The trick is to make them out of sync with each other so the overall volume stays similar.

All of this ****ery may be too much to fit under the car, but it does work. An exhaust system is basically a big trombone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 240 View Post
water-cooled VW owners can't even tell you the flavor of Cheetos they ate last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando
Tinnitus and hearing loss? Sounds like your ears could tolerate some Bose 901s!
96 960 (rotted)
88 244
06 XC90 V8
03 V70(crashed)
92 745 Turbo
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
122power
dude

Idk mine sounds really good at idle with an rsi cam. It wins the idle award for sure but not in the rpm range. Especially on decel.
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #25
Radtap
Board Member

My main goal is to find a setup that’s somewhat quiet at idle/putting around but hollers when I step on it, my neighborhood is all old folks and I leave for work early in the morning so I doubt they’d enjoy hearing me fire up cherry bombs every morning. If I can’t find something like that I’m just gonna slap a cutout on the down pipe and just dump slightly under the firewall. I side dumped my buddys 740t right underneath the rear door and all it had was a blown out cat, it wasn’t obnoxiously loud even when stepping on it but it sounded like a straight up tractor. Didn’t drone though, iirc the exhaust was the original 2inch pipe and then after the cat I upped to 2.5inch, gave it a little throaty tone but we were just dicking around