• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 140 Window Vent Latch

Yeah, the PO didn't take them off, they just fell off. Happened to most of them that had sun exposure.

Oof. Good to know. The aftermarket ones are working alright, though they are loose and seem likely to fall off when it's open (so I take 'em off and put them in the glove compartment when the window is open). Mayhaps I'll just glue the aftermarket ones on.

Yeah, the PO didn't take them off, they just fell off. Happened to most of them that had sun exposure.

Actually they stay on pretty well until you swing the latch shut and the release button snaps back up and the shock breaks the bond.

Not Volvo's most brilliant moment to be sure though.

Actually they stay on pretty well until you swing the latch shut and the release button snaps back up and the shock breaks the bond.

Not Volvo's most brilliant moment to be sure though.

+1.
Mine, (including the cargo area windows) have held up very well. I'm talking years, not months.

https://www.cureuv.com/products/loctite-349-impruv-uv-light-cure-adhesive-50ml?variant=24008107783

OP, this link should show you a Loctite glue that's specifically for glass to metal applications. It also shows you that it's damn expensive. Knowing that I didn't want to have to keep regluing the latches on my '72 164E every few months, I ponied up for a bottle of this stuff. It was 3 years ago when I reattached mine using it and they haven't failed since on a car I daily drive and routinely open and close/relatch my vent windows on.

Kinda scary to use though, since it can cure in seconds, though it took several minutes for me. Still, you have to be sure you get it right on the 1st try and that you don't also glue the plastic part of the latch to it's metal base, in which case it'd be useless. To prevent this, I got a tube of Vaseline lip balm, which has a nice small hole you can use to put a thin layer of Vaseline quite precisely between the plastic and the metal base.

If you get it done correctly, its a heck of a lot nicer than those aftermarket latches, though I'd love to see real live versions of what itb pictured above! Those look like they could be a beautiful thing!

Good luck!

Go to the junkyard enough and eventually you find everything.

Even eternal happiness? Temporary happiness, sure (as when you found these beauts!), but eternal? Maybe I should check with Jack?

Back