• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

windshield repair

srs4164

Windshield got dinged with a rock the other day on the highway. Ended up with a quarter sized bulls-eye crack. Does anyone have experience with something like the rain-x windshield repair kit? Would this work just as well as having a glass shop do the repair?

I've used both the rain-x and the harbor freight kits. They are basically the same thing. I've also seen glass shops use those kits. if you are saying it's 1/4 inch, you'd probably be okay. If it's actually quarter sized, your probably going to need a new windshield.

My 960 had a quarter-size circle-crack in when got it, was like for nearly 10 years before we replaced it.

Just keep in mind before you replace the windshield, try and find a high quality one. We replaced mine and it's all distorted and looks horrible. I'd prefer the crack almost...

My 960 had a quarter-size circle-crack in when got it, was like for nearly 10 years before we replaced it.

Just keep in mind before you replace the windshield, try and find a high quality one. We replaced mine and it's all distorted and looks horrible. I'd prefer the crack almost...

Yeah, that's the problem. Its not going to be easy finding a good quality windshield for a '72 164E, from what I've read on here. That and the fact that I should also fix the rust holes from those damn clips for the trim at the same time, which I really don't have the $ for right now.

VP or GCP will have that glass.

As always, u da man RWC! I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't actually thought of checking either of those places, though I'm a bit frightened to see what the cost will be! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get one from the 164 NO_SPRK is parting out, depending on the condition. I'm waiting to hear back from him on this, so maybe I'll wait until then before scaring myself with the VP/GCP prices. Somehow, I'm guessing they'll be high enough that fixing the holes and switching to the newer windshield will make more sense $wise! Unfortunately, knowing myself, at that point, I'll probably go the 'lets see if I get lucky and this stays the same for years without the crack getting bigger' route, since I'm such an optimist (or is it that I'm cheap?).

Fortunately, the rear view mirror completely blocks my seeing any evidence of the crack while I'm driving, so I'm not having much difficulty ignoring it currently. If that wasn't the case, this'd be driving me friggin' nuts!

Tap some super glue in the crack and razor it off it you're truly cheap.

Rusty at RPR got me one from GCP in 2008 for $320.

:e-shrug:

Or have some glass guy slam a 91+ in there for a couple bills.

I went with a new windshield in my 66 wagon last summer. I live west of my day job and driving into the sun, sometimes both ways, looking through a 50 year old sandblasted piece of glass isn't fun.
Cost about 300 bucks, with the $120 shipping , and another 70 or 80 for the new gasket. You need a new gasket! Try using an old hard one and you'll probably break the glass.
Anyway 400 bucks I can see where I'm going and not run over deer or joggers.
That's cheap in my book. (not that I like deer or joggers but they leave a big dent)

Anyway it might just be time for new glass.

I went with a new windshield in my 66 wagon last summer. I live west of my day job and driving into the sun, sometimes both ways, looking through a 50 year old sandblasted piece of glass isn't fun.
Cost about 300 bucks, with the $120 shipping , and another 70 or 80 for the new gasket. You need a new gasket! Try using an old hard one and you'll probably break the glass.
Anyway 400 bucks I can see where I'm going and not run over deer or joggers.
That's cheap in my book. (not that I like deer or joggers but they leave a big dent)

Anyway it might just be time for new glass.

It's set in Butyl after 69 Bob.

It's set in Butyl after 69 Bob.

Yes, but . . . you need to clean out the old butyl and set the glass with Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive and the '91+ gasket. I am not aware where you might find a new bright trim anymore. The '91+ gasket, and it is now a gasket, comes in several widths and you will need at least the 3/4" version to cover the paint marks of the old trim.

Yes, but . . . you need to clean out the old butyl and set the glass with Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive and the '91+ gasket. I am not aware where you might find a new bright trim anymore. The '91+ gasket, and it is now a gasket, comes in several widths and you will need at least the 3/4" version to cover the paint marks of the old trim.

:nono:

We're talking about a 72 164 not a 79+ 240.

:doh:

s-l1600.jpg

Sorry, I thought the windshield glass stayed the same through many years of 140/240 production.

197120Volvo20164_2.jpg

I have the old metal trim and rubber (now hard) trim along with the plastic attachment clips off the '82. Free for anyone that wants them but not going to ship easy.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought the windshield glass stayed the same through many years of 140/240 production.

I have the old metal trim and rubber (now hard) trim along with the plastic attachment clips off the '82. Free for anyone that wants them but not going to ship easy.

The glass is the same, [other than no tinted top strip on 140's] but the trim and it's attachment changed 4 times from 1967-1993.

1972 we're talking 8 stainless pieces held on with steel 'L' clips slid into a punched / raised loops in the pinch weld area itself.

[1967-1969 was a real rubber gasket 122 style]

[ 1970 - 1978] as shown above.

Wouldn't the '91+ gasket work?

I don't expect anyone is going to take a '72 164 to Pebble Beach so the objective is probably to put a new windshield in without getting the carpet wet.

It's just a trim piece 91+ not a gasket per se like the 67-69.

Yes if you hammered the loops down flat in the pinch weld, but it will have the tinted strip at the top, and frenzel spots around the edges.

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be able to attach the bright trim using Butyl tape instead of the clips., if you're only going for an OE look? The tape needs to be narrow.
NWMDC

Shouldn't you be able to attach the bright trim using Butyl tape instead of the clips., if you're only going for an OE look? The tape needs to be narrow.
NWMDC

lol

Isn't that how they 'stick' the 262 windshield and rear glass trims because they didn't really have a plan?

^ You have such a positive outlook on things, but no alternatives, no solutions, no imagination. :-( But we still like you.

Back