• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Leak in the trunk - bumper trim pinchweld??

blyat

( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
I have a pretty substantial leak on my '81 242 in the trunk seeping in from the bumper trim. It has the rubber commando trim on a 83-85 toy bumper, as I got rid of the commando bumpers.

Water comes in through where the trim mounts to the body of the car, smack dab in the center of the body (between the tail lights). I know it's pretty rusty up in there, but I haven't had a chance out of fear of ripping off that section of car that's probably rusted pretty bad :-(

My question is: are there any common points of entry around that area like holes around that area that could also be the culprit? Sagging trim? Etc. Or do I need to stuff a bunch of JB weld in there until I can get that panel either cut out and a fresher one welded in or crush the car.

Oh also the trunk seal is also bunk. I posted in the wanted threads about that, too.

Just trying to tidy up things in the trunk because i'm tired of looking at how nasty it gets back there.

Thanks guys!

TL;DR: Trunk leaks, commando trim on toy bumpers; crush or jb weld???

Last edited:
Sand down the rust. Repair with "kitty hair" fiberglass bondo. Smooth it out. Win , win. Water may also get in by the tail lights. Place sections of newspaper where you think the issue is. Check back in a day or two to see where it is wet. FYI, will show up better using brown paper or similar.

Spray the out side with soapy water, use compressed air on the inside and see where you get bubbles.

Back