• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21 lower timing/crank cover removal

Vol242vo

Keep it clean...
Stumped. How the hell does this come off? I?d like to replace the gasket...all face bolts are removed and the 2 front, lower oil pan bolts are removed. This thing won?t budge, I must be missing something.

BA757-EFE-F0-EC-4-BFC-9895-E98060-FF3-B52.jpg

Use a thin edge flathead screwdriver to begin prying it off from one side then do the other side. Work it loose till you can get a much thicker screwdriver to free it. I just did one the other day and it came off without too much work.

Thanks for the feedback, I should have added that I have tried prying and the amount of pressure I was applying started to make me nervous. I guess I just need reassurance that I have removed all bolts holding it before I apply additional force.

Looks like you left a couple bolts in place towards lower left.

Remove all the bolts, then lightly whack the cover with a soft mallet to help loosen it.

Check the oil pan bolts - I forget if any of them go into the cover.

And yes, there are a couple locating pins. You can see them in your picture - they look like a bolt hole in the cover, but with the flat end of the pin showing instead of a bolt. The pin stays in the block.

Check the oil pan bolts - I forget if any of them go into the cover.

And yes, there are a couple locating pins. You can see them in your picture - they look like a bolt hole in the cover, but with the flat end of the pin showing instead of a bolt. The pin stays in the block.

Yes, 2 bolt from the oil pan also thread into the bottom of this cover, which have been removed.

As far as the pins go, do I need a key to release them? How do I go about working around them?

Yes, 2 bolt from the oil pan also thread into the bottom of this cover, which have been removed.

As far as the pins go, do I need a key to release them? How do I go about working around them?

There's no release for the pins, they're just there to help line things up when you put it together. One is directly above the V in Volvo on the cover the other is on the bottom side across from it. I always forget about those oil pan bolts too.

The pins are just a snug fit. The cover pushes on over them. Can you see a gasket between the cover and the block? If someone RTV'd it on, it may be difficult to get off.

When you whack the lower lip with a rubber mallet, it should make a hollow sound once it loosens up. You then need to wiggle it straight out. I don't know if you need to loosen all the oil pan bolts first to avoid damaging the oil pan gasket. You may be able to gently slide a putty knife between the top of the pan gasket and the cover to free up the pan gasket.

Back