• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help tuning 240 NA D24 diesel engine

BigMF1155

I am looking to increase the power of my NA diesel and I know it's stupid because the gains will be small and the engine will still be underpowered but I wanted an NA diesel for once because I have had so many turbos before and I love doing these projects.

I'd like your opinion on what I should do for the car?
It's a 1984 Volvo 245 with a naturally aspirated D24 engine with 82 hp and 140nm. :-P

By now I created a short tubular exhaust header for the car which made it sound quite good and if it made any power increase it's negligible.

I have turned up the pump to maybe ridiculous amount. I do enjoy seeing the smoke but I wonder if it's reducing power at that point?

I have a big 500w light bar on the roof and have always done the acceleration with it on so I wonder if it affects it at all considering that it must add air resistance and create a load on the alternator drawing 40 amps.

I currently have no tachometer, which hinders the acceleration a little bit and I am planning to port the head in the upcoming months.

Also considering a cold air intake because the old design might not be very efficient for the airbox and could maybe add some power?

The older model of the engine seems to have 155nm but less hp and was wondering how it was done? :omg:

My goal is to get the car to go under 16s 0-100 kmh and I have gotten a 0-100 kmh of around 19.7s without doing a good launch.

And lastly engine has over 400k kilometers driven but the car starts very well even in -20c weather so I believe it to be in good shape still.

Um...
...You can add a turbo to the N/A motor, but with the N/A pump it isn't likely to go 'faster' really, but less smoke/oil contamination isn't a bad thing, either, usually?
You might want an EGT probe?

More smoke isn't always so great for longevity on an engine where the cylinder head is made of glass & cooling system is uh 'marginal' & pre-chamber design or a dirty or even slightly marginal pump or injector can doom the engine even if compression is healthy...

D24Ts have oil squirters & uh...'slightly less low grade/sloppy seconds' for iron ore from Sweden for the krauts (they're cheap w/raw materials & use the quality glen gary iron ore & steel & alloy more sparingly than Volvo did/only in the critical spots w/less safety factor, but also bigger company/more engineers/more volume, but also cheaper cars for export, often times rather than durable domestic + american 'safety' market @ VW).

IDK? Can go a notch thinner on the HG, better nozzles on the rebuilt injectors & bump up the pump timing to euro NOX emissions specs on teh N/A D24s to make them a little less pathetic assuming the engine has health/even compression otherwise?
The kind of person that bought those was more the kind of miserly early 80s diesel fuel price shopper that was looking & probably seeing '60mph...'available' rather than thinking about 0-60 times...

IMG_20110725_141049.jpg

https://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=387

States: "9.90@71mph in the 1/8th, 2.2 sec 60' (burning tires off through 1st gear)"

Adjust the timing might help. Earlier ones had 11mm head bolts. Maybe different cam, not sure, later ones had the altitude adjustment on the injection pump. I sold all my volvo diesels and all my tools.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yw2pb2N_qAo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RFtQu5l1koQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indeed. I've driven some slow cars in the past. A 36HP Beetle. A diesel MK1 Rabbit. And probably the slowest, but very fun nonetheless - a diesel Land Rover S2 pickup. And when I was a kid my Dad had a late 50's Mercedes 190D. A car that would always go, but it would never go fast.

Back