Did you change the cam timing at all?
rb92673 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #202
linuxman51
Railspeeder Enthusiast #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb92673 View Post
Did you change the cam timing at all?
nope this was a simple a-b test, both cams timed straight up. I did one pull after the first three where I played with ignition timing just a little bit, and driving the car around there's some more work to be done there. I don't think I need an adjustable timing gear, I'm not displeased with the powerband as it sits. I'll refine the tune and get fully fleshed out numbers later.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #203
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

The ipd cam wants to be 3-4 degrees behind straight up. Real tdc on it is at 1mm lift at crank TDC. Bet you pick up power everywhere that way rather than just shifting the powerband around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #204
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
The ipd cam wants to be 3-4 degrees behind straight up. Real tdc on it is at 1mm lift at crank TDC. Bet you pick up power everywhere that way rather than just shifting the powerband around.
Does this apply to 8v applications as well? I have mine straight up right now dialed back from +1 I originally had set.
Dvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #205
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvroofer View Post
Does this apply to 8v applications as well? I have mine straight up right now dialed back from +1 I originally had set.
This is specific to the IPD Turbo and Enem V15 cams.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #206
redblockpowered
mails files to people

Quote:
Seconded
If you live in the Northeast US, I'll drive to you and tune your LH 2.4 car!
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:11 PM   #207
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
there's also the sudden desire to do an intercooler test and verify that the npr is all we believe it to be
Do it!

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:46 PM   #208
threewagons
i am the liquor

IPD claims 15-25hp increase depending on mods but I figured the gains would be more substantial considering all you've done thus far. It's awesome to have this info and see how the HP progresses with the build!
Old 09-05-2022, 01:13 AM   #209
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

Quote:
I have an ipd cam and sts gear....was unaware of the best way to advance/retard it
Old 09-06-2022, 05:01 AM   #210
VolvoGuy123
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
I have an ipd cam and sts gear....was unaware of the best way to advance/retard it
Just to verify (because I literally just put my gear back to straight up) from advanced +1 degree... I should try retarding it 3 or 4 degrees instead?

I had it retarded-1, 2 degrees at one point (but with a pretty bad vac leak i was unaware of at the time) but I do prefer my top end with the 20t! ;) especially how strong she's running now! :D

Last edited by VolvoGuy123; 09-06-2022 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Because awesome.
VolvoGuy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #211
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
I am only really concerned with power from about 3700 to 6200. We stay there all day long. Getting from 5500 to 6000 seems an effort with the IPD cam straight up.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #212
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
I am only really concerned with power from about 3700 to 6200. We stay there all day long. Getting from 5500 to 6000 seems an effort with the IPD cam straight up.
6000 is not a place where a stock 8v head will make power, generally speaking.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #213
redblockpowered
mails files to people

I don't know why they grind them so advanced from where they say it should be installed. Maybe it's a guideline as to how far they want you to mill the head?

Or they're getting paid off by Big Adjustable Cam Gear.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #214
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Or it's a hold over from when it seemed every aftermarket cam was ground with 4° of adv built in...

Head work: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=349975

Temp Sender Adapters: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348169
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #215
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
6000 is not a place where a stock 8v head will make power, generally speaking.
There are a lot of places on the tracks we race where it doesn't make sense to shift from 4th to 5th as you near the end of a straight. You just keep it in gear with the foot down until you brake or hit the limiter. *shrug*
Old 09-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #216
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Or it's a hold over from when it seemed every aftermarket cam was ground with 4° of adv built in...
Because all the Dodge guys go straight to the bottom of the page.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #217
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
There are a lot of places on the tracks we race where it doesn't make sense to shift from 4th to 5th as you near the end of a straight. You just keep it in gear with the foot down until you brake or hit the limiter. *shrug*
Being able to spin it to avoid changing gears and making incremental power at those RPMs are totally different things.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:29 PM   #218
linuxman51

so I reckon the takeaway is I need to get an adjustable cam gear before I toss this 8v head aside?

fan motor ordered, along with spare hoses ahead of MM, did notice that the radiator was somewhat swollen when I had it out of the car, that's not quite desirable. no idea how long that's been like that, but I'ma keep an eye on it, and maybe toss a spare in for the trip. it doesn't leak or anything, but.. still, undesirable.

in checking what type of fan motor the car has, I discovered a lot of silver "residue" on the side of the motor, so I'm guessing it self-destructed.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:21 PM   #219
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
so I reckon the takeaway is I need to get an adjustable cam gear before I toss this 8v head aside?
yes please. maybe a small amount of amateurish porting after that?
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #220
linuxman51

that was incorporated into this test by virtue of re-baselining the T cam
Old 09-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #221
rb92673
Board Member

Quote:
Please do.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 PM   #222
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

I guess I'm trying to grasp where to time an ipd cam with a big turbo that eats at mid to high range. Getting off the line is ok but I like to be able to pull when I'm going just like 60mph and wanna move....is an advance or retard better for a such thing?
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:38 PM   #223
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
I guess I'm trying to grasp where to time an ipd cam with a big turbo that eats at mid to high range. Getting off the line is ok but I like to be able to pull when I'm going just like 60mph and wanna move....is an advance or retard better for a such thing?
What's mid to high range? Kenny's dyno test kinda highlights the rpm range that the IPD cam provides, with supporting mods. If that looks like what you're looking for, run it straight up. If you're looking for something significantly different than what's shown, changing your cam timing on this cam isn't going to do it.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 04:09 PM   #224
linuxman51

I'm willing to try things, but I'm going to put a pin in that until after mountain meet.
on another note, ordered some car audio stuff for the old girl. last year I threw some cheapie speakers and a head unit in it last minute, turns out one of the p.o.'s left me a present in the stereo wiring that causes it to randomly short out. the alpine head unit just cuts off the internal amp, the old head unit apparently blew its fuse. so I'm going to replace all of that trash, put some better speakers up front and drive all 4 door speakers from an amp instead of the head unit, and put my old alpine amp to work in the back with a rockford fosgate dvc 12".

also on the short list is the remainder of the interior re-installation (possibly before mm as well, depends on how next weekend lines up) with a new head liner, I think I'll just skip sleeping until maybe november with the amount of items on my plate now.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:28 PM   #225
linuxman51

pulled the v8 wagon into the shop to rob parts (the hitch, nothing else. boy she needs love this winter. lots of love). waiting on the first wave of the deluge of parts to be delivered, tonight will hopefully be stereo install and wiring correction (hopefully I say because I'd like to be finished tonight, but that may be a tall order. the heavy wiring is done though), should be back to driving it around tomorrow as well so I need to remember to grab the laptop before heading out on the daycare run in the am.

if I finish early on these projects, the c4 has a list a mile long, so I'll probably start picking up on that. The weather is coming up perfect, so that's nice as well. much excite