home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-13-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
shoestring
Board Member

Default ipd/STS A/C delete bracket difficulty

So I bought one of these for my '91 245, which has an absolutely standard engine compartment: nothing has been moved/relocated/etc, which the exception of the A/C compressor which was removed. If I follow the enclosed instructions, I cannot for the life of me get the supplied belt to fit the pump without hitting the mass air sensor. I could get a longer belt, but that would exceed the range of adjustability in the tensioning bracket. I mucked around with it for a couple of hours before I bailed on the way that they wanted it mounted and moved it up one set of holes in the block and used a longer belt I had in inventory. Unfortunately that makes the hole in the upper left location unusable because it doesn't line up with the boss in the block.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I contacted ipd about this and they said they have hundreds of units in service without a problem. I checked that the pn on the bag of components I got was correct, but that doesn't mean that the contents of the bag were.

I'm thinking that this is a me problem but like I said, man, I could not figure it out.

Help?
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Pics of what you are doing would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
wht_245wagoon
Board Member

I have the same on my 245 and have not had any issues. I purchased mine from STS and had to use the photos on their website to install as it did not come with instructions. Post some photos.
wht_245wagoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #4
shoestring
Board Member

Got it. I'll have to disassemble and show what's up.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
244tiCanuck
Board Member

I'm trying to set one up on a 16v conversion on an 8v block right now, PS pump is sitting WAY too far forward for belt to line up with crank pulley. And this is with the crank pulley somehow sitting too far out to line up with the water pump already.
244tiCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #6
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 244tiCanuck View Post
I'm trying to set one up on a 16v conversion on an 8v block right now, PS pump is sitting WAY too far forward for belt to line up with crank pulley. And this is with the crank pulley somehow sitting too far out to line up with the water pump already.
16V Require a shorter harmonic balancer. VS the 8V. I believe it is 6mm.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:11 PM   #7
244tiCanuck
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
16V Require a shorter harmonic balancer. VS the 8V. I believe it is 6mm.
Hmm. It's for Tims car, has yoshifab billet sprocket and harmonic balancer machined for the keyway for it, but not for thickness/backspacing. I'll probably look at getting it machined down. If I had a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe I'd give it a go myself but I haven't gotten to that yet.
244tiCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #8
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
So I bought one of these for my '91 245, which has an absolutely standard engine compartment: nothing has been moved/relocated/etc, which the exception of the A/C compressor which was removed. If I follow the enclosed instructions, I cannot for the life of me get the supplied belt to fit the pump without hitting the mass air sensor. I could get a longer belt, but that would exceed the range of adjustability in the tensioning bracket. I mucked around with it for a couple of hours before I bailed on the way that they wanted it mounted and moved it up one set of holes in the block and used a longer belt I had in inventory. Unfortunately that makes the hole in the upper left location unusable because it doesn't line up with the boss in the block.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I contacted ipd about this and they said they have hundreds of units in service without a problem. I checked that the pn on the bag of components I got was correct, but that doesn't mean that the contents of the bag were.

I'm thinking that this is a me problem but like I said, man, I could not figure it out.

Help?
Is it possible to reposition the MAF slightly? I had the same bracket on my '89 and had no issues like some other folks here. So I am tempted to say the positioning of the MAF may be somewhat different on yours than what is considered "stock".
1989 240 B230F, V15 cam, chipped EZK, M47 swap (Lost a fight with a Chevy express van), the millennial falcon
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
esmth
Board Member

I bought one right when they came out from STS and I don't recall having fitment issues, but my maf is slightly relocated from stock. I did replace all the hardware for flanged and yellow coated hardware at one point, I forget why. Did you get sent the B21/3 model?
Old 09-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
shoestring
Board Member

I don't know. Like I said, all my stuff is stock. Stock airbox, which the MAF clamps directly to, so there really isn't anywhere else for it to go. Maybe I'll do this tonight and you guys can be like "It goes like this, dummy..."