home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #51
Swedbrick
Board Member

Interesting, not ideal from what it sounds like. I'll have to stick a voltmeter on my car to confirm, maybe it was part of why my alternator died. I do like the ability to keep it e85 compatible if I get wild ideas in the future, that's why I chose it over the 255 in the first place
I sell LH2.4 Chips for Europe!
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:57 AM   #52
qwkswede
Old and Slow

It's March now and drag racing season is just around the corner so I need to get started on some maintenance and improvements.

After the 3000 miles road trip in the fall I had to do some maintenance. I replaced a burned up gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbo flange. I did an oil change. AND I also rounded up a good usable AC condenser. I hope to get the AC system assembled and working before spring and summer start melting people. Beyond that, I am shopping for some wheels and tires to improve drag strip traction. I think a 24.5x8.5 drag slick will work. I'll probably order up some 15x8 steel wheels from Diamond Racing again. I can't seem to find anything better than that. Every oem Volvo wheel I have is like 5-6 inches wide which I don't really like with an 8.5-10" wide drag tire. I thought about a drag radial for some streetability. But there isn't really much in small sizes. So the mickey thompson or M&H slick will probably get ordered.

I want to keep the horsepower at it's current level for now. I have really restrained myself from buying a larger set of injectors. With the 80lb guys I am running now, I am maxxed out and that is probably a good thing. The car runs fantastic as a daily driver and is really fast at the drag strip. Any more and I'm sure I'll be breaking AW71s like candy canes. It's at a good place right now and serves as a street car in a way that my last Volvo wagon did not.

So for 2022 it will be good sticky tires and fine tuning the rest of the combination. I hope for some more low 12 second passes and lots of good fun daily driving. I'm sure there will be more modifications than that, it always gets a little carried away. I'll keep the thread updated as interesting things happen.
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #53
qwkswede
Old and Slow

My summer of car projects completely disappeared because I moved to a new house in the mountains. I now live at 8200' above sea level. This has really caused problems for my engine's boost response. A Garrett GT3071 is apparently on the "large" side when you drive primarily above 8000'. At sea level this thing makes instant boost and lays rubber for miles in first gear with just a push of the gas. My new hood I'm lucky if I can make enough power in first gear to merge into traffic. 3-4 seconds on the throttle and into second gear the turbo starts cooking and I'll see the wastegate pressure 14-15psi. But man it takes forever to build boost. I might have to consider sizing down the turbo a bit just to make it more drivable on the street. The 16V motor lack torque, and put a slow spooling turbo on there, and it means the motor is struggling driving up my driveway at idle speed. I didn't build the car for once a year drag racing trips. Well... I kinda did. But it does haul lumber and junk from Home Depot pretty often too.

Not much mechanic work happening with this sled. Just racking up a ton of miles. I have some ideas for winter though.

Anyone have a suggestion for a smaller, but still 400hp capable turbo that can work at 8000-10000' above sea level? My barometric pressure reading when I turn on the key is 74kpa. I'd like to bolt it to my stock 90+ manifold. So a T3 flange would be ideal.

A Borg Warner EFR maybe? I don't know how to size those or what they spool like at altitude.
A GT28 something with a T3 housing??? Do those exist? Seems like they have T25 bolt pattern usually.
Or maybe I go for a Mitsubishi hybrid build. Like a TD04HL with a 20G compressor wheel.

Anyways. Just noodling on the possibilities.
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #54
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

EFR 6758 or 6258 seems like what you want. Turbine housings are limited to v-band or T4 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
I hate the car and also cannot be free of it. I dream of having a different project but cannot separate myself emotionally from this one and so remain bonded to it like Sisyphus to his great stone.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #55
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I'm on a GTX2867 Gen 2 with an ATP T3 .63 housing. Garrett doesn't make a T3 housing for the GT28 but ATP does, nicely done. I'm fighting a little of the same, going from sea level to 4000' I definitely lost that instant spool. Need to tweak some other stuff on the tune, easier whenever I get funds for the MS.
Pete Fluitman "fivehundred" 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

Still your local Superpro dealer!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:22 PM   #56
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
I'm on a GTX2867 Gen 2 with an ATP T3 .63 housing. Garrett doesn't make a T3 housing for the GT28 but ATP does, nicely done. I'm fighting a little of the same, going from sea level to 4000' I definitely lost that instant spool. Need to tweak some other stuff on the tune, easier whenever I get funds for the MS.
I find the GT28 to be undersized with the ATP housing for a redblock, to the point where an old T3/T4 spooled better.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #57
cosbySweater
Board Member

i think a s200 would probably work pretty good and they are cheap
1995 Porsche 993
2006 Mercedes E320 CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #58
RvolvoR
Board Member

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-efr-7163/

this with one of their t3 housings. The old 20v audi 5 cyl guys use them a lot and max them out on e85 at 30ish psi; they make 500awhp at that.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote