home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #26
PNW760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessam69 View Post
Hunting idle usually means vacuum leaks and or dirty throttle body and or dirty IAC valve
Vacuum lines everywhere are intact with silicone IPD wires so I’ll clean the throttle body and IAC and see if anything changes. I didn’t even think of the throttle body being a possible culprit. Is there a reason behind it being able to cause a bad idle?
Old 07-06-2022, 09:20 PM   #27
borked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW760 View Post
...Like about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the gauge.. it only would warm up more once I got to a standstill and let the car sit like at a light.

It also has a hunting idle so I’m thinking that’s a coolant temp sensor on its way out?
I might've overlooked where this was mentioned, but did you already replace the thermostat?

I live in the area and I'm also very slowly working on a very similar mild to mild/medium spicy-flavored 940 build, with 16t and all. Happy to compare notes if you ever want to meet up!
borked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #28
ronclark
Board Member

Quote:
Vacuum lines everywhere are intact with silicone IPD wires so I’ll clean the throttle body and IAC and see if anything changes. I didn’t even think of the throttle body being a possible culprit. Is there a reason behind it being able to cause a bad idle?
When I start getting get idle hunting, there a unmetered air sucked in from somewhere. Check everything down stream of the MAF. Since its a turbo car its a good idea do boost leak testhttps://turboboostleaktesters.com/ho...ost-leak-test/
I made a my own tester with PVC and my air compression for a few bucks. You will quickly find loose clamps, leaking hoses.

I took the extra step of taking an spray bottle of soap water while pressurized, and checked injector oring, intake gaskets, intercooler joints pretty much anywhere air could leak out.
ronclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:10 AM   #29
PNW760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borked View Post
I might've overlooked where this was mentioned, but did you already replace the thermostat?

I live in the area and I'm also very slowly working on a very similar mild to mild/medium spicy-flavored 940 build, with 16t and all. Happy to compare notes if you ever want to meet up!
No, but after more reading and driving, it seems to have all the classic traits of a failed thermostat. Warms up fine during city driving but temp drops at highway speeds. I'll be replacing it within the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borked View Post
I go to Portland quite often, at least once or twice a week, and I'm only up in Battle Ground. I didn't think there were many 7/9 owners left around.. I'd love to meet up and see all that you've done and see what I have to do next.
PNW760 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #30
PNW760
Board Member

IMG_9081

Took out the AC condenser and this puncture was on the right side. Repairable or better off replacing? Little dab of JB weld or will it not seal well enough for AC/freon?

Swedish Iron mentioned he has one for $100 although I don't know what the going rate for them is.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #31
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

Quote:
IMG_9081

Took out the AC condenser and this puncture was on the right side. Repairable or better off replacing? Little dab of JB weld or will it not seal well enough for AC/freon?

Swedish Iron mentioned he has one for $100 although I don't know what the going rate for them is.
I've got one too...In fact I have a full operating ac sitting in the shed
Old 07-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #32
90volvo
Board Member

Quote:
IMG_9081

JB will not work, ask me how I know. LOL. That hole will see some 275 plus psi; I would buy a new one with newer design. On my 240 I just bought an Ebay cond. and made my own hoses from a hose kit.

1985 240 Work in progress.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #33
PNW760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
I've got one too...In fact I have a full operating ac sitting in the shed
My AC was operational too, blew very cold, right before I punctured the condenser with the bracket that the top fiberglass support bolts onto trying to re-install it after the Evo-8 intercooler went in (before I sold it 3-4 years ago). Now I’m just living with the consequences of my actions
Old 07-08-2022, 02:33 PM   #34
PNW760
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
JB will not work, ask me how I know. LOL. That hole will see some 275 plus psi; I would buy a new one with newer design. On my 240 I just bought an Ebay cond. and made my own hoses from a hose kit.
I figured it wouldn’t, but it never hurts to ask.

When you say newer design, what are you referring to? I know the 940’s had different designs based on the year of production and it changed in 93 but do you mean a newer style generic condenser? Or the year specific one?