• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

98? V70R Driveshaft

Hey all, recently bought a V70R and one of the previous owners took out the driveshaft. Ive read that different cars within ?98 have different driveshafts depending on flange size. Ive also heard to contact Colorado driveshaft, but they haven?t gotten back to me. Any other sources? Can I just rip one out of a junkyard XC? Thanks

Last edited:
Hey all, recently bought a V70R and one of the previous owners took out the driveshaft. Ive read that different cars within ?98 have different driveshafts depending on flange size. Ive also heard to contact Colorado driveshaft, but they haven?t gotten back to me. Any other sources? Can I just rip one out of a junkyard XC? Thanks

Post back with the VIN. That determines which shaft you have.

I have a couple of the late 98 shafts, and probably 99-00 version (larger carrier bearing)

CV's can be replaced/rebuilt

Bigger issue is why did they remove it? Usually it's NOT because the joints are bad, but because the Angle Drive or Viscous Coupling are ****ed. This thread I made many years back (on Swedespeed) lists the variants, etc.

I have a couple of the late 98 shafts, and probably 99-00 version (larger carrier bearing)

Bigger issue is why did they remove it? Usually it's NOT because the joints are bad, but because the Angle Drive or Viscous Coupling are ****ed. This thread I made many years back (on Swedespeed) lists the variants, etc.

Vin is YV1LW5248W2433890. Colorado Driveshaft got back to me. $540 + $100 for core. Ouch! Is there any non R car that I can rip a driveshaft out of that will match mine? Id just want to use it to test my VC and Angle Gear aren?t shot, and then use it to get the core charge back

I had to replace mine because the carrier bearing and center support had rusted enough to allow the driveshaft to flop around.

How do you determine quickly in the junkyard if the coupling or angle gear is bad? :lol:

How do you 'rebuild' the CVs or what other car takes that CV joint that's common & junkyardable :lol:

Concur on the rest, i'm just trying to keep time & costs as low as possible to roach down -'98XCs & V70Rs. The V70R valved/ride height rear nivomats are annoyingly rare in the JY but I've hoarded a few for cheap for mine as needed...$200ea self-leveling rear shock/spring things...love em when they work but silly to have the air pump & sprung part be part of the wear part (shock absorber/damper).

Mostly Rs not because I like them (I prefer the XC cladding & white paint to bash around with no sunroof/manual seats & 5 speed/n/A motor/less to break), but because of any of the P80s only those, mint stick shift 850s & super low mile 850Rs/T5-Rs aren't sale-proof if you should ever decide to sell it...

Buy a subaru with AWD that actually works/isn't made of glass with good viscous coupling & LSD options for all 3 diffs that you can recombine the junk drawer to get low range & dis-engageable rear wheels? Lower labor times, motor comes out easy, better weight balance, profit & profit again?
That said, the subaru motor is kind of a weak POS, so tho it's light & comes out in record time, all but the 90-94 non-interference EJ22 turbo closed deck forged crank blocks kinda...suuuuck? Lots of years of parts interchange/lots of them in the JYs in a nice way...kinda more so than the P80s tho they made whiteblocks plenty of years too mostly compatible broadly speaking...93-2010ish? RN swap being pretty 'doable'...

Prefer the Volvo safety, paint, rustproofing & comfy seats, however...

Last edited:
Back