• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Turbo K Jet Main Pump Replacement Options ?

philski o'flood

Helping out a friend who just picked up an '83 240 Turbo, no inter-cooler, and it needs a main pump. They already ordered the IPD intake upgrade kit.

I can't find any leads on new good original Bosch K jet pump, Bosch 0580254949.

Anyone have good alternatives. Ok Thx

The usual culprits like FCP Euro or IPD can't get a 949 bosch pump? I've used the non germany built ones and they have worked fine. I'd try VP Autoparts and Swedish Car Parts and also HiPerfAuto. Gotta be a pump somewhere for you.

all I can kind find is BOSCH 69430... which I've heard isn't that good :???: Maybe just go ahead and used it ?
0580464126001__ra_p.jpg

Years ago, I got a Bosch 69591 on closeout from rockauto. At the time, I remember looking it up and finding that it was a cross to the whatever was the standard Volvo higher-pressure K-Jet pump. I forget the pressure/flow specs, but it was higher than the LH pumps.

Same pump as B28 760 or some of the single pump K-jets Benz?s work?(many of the larger 8 kjet benz cars have 2 pumps in series from a gravity fed tank?no fuss/quality on the late 80s/early 90s 460 & 560 Benz)

OE made in W.Germany are better quality than anything since.

Late D-jet or Side-spout kjets 140s also have the capacity and are rebuildable (screw together face, pull the guts out, swap or clean the screen, places do quality rebuild on those (because Porsche & DeLorean/real car guy crowd, not us Volvo guys in the cheap seats.).

Most main pumps in 240s die from starvation clogged pickup screens on the in tank pump, / sucking up some crud that tears up the bronze bushing & gets them sloppy enough for them to rub a winding/short out.

That, or contaminated fuel or running the car low on gas in hot weather starving it & not filling the tank when the fuel gauge reaches the top of the red/running around on E a lot.
People that do their maintenance preventatively and drive over cool pnw valley roads where the fuel seldom turns to varnish can usually get them to last basically indefinitely.

Tell 740Turbo intank (or at least ~?86+ 6psi lift pump instead of -?85 3psi lift pump does help the main pump a lot in 240Turbos. More thru-put at light load tho, which stirs, froths & heats the fuel slightly more?something to consider on return line setups vs. modern returnless systems installed for evap reasons when they cut the evap emissions #s in half in 2000 & 2005, hence most 2000-2005 OEMs going to return less or in extreme cases a bladder/no oxygen or stirring the fuel basically allowed at all. Still, quality 740T tall lift pump or its Porsche 930 brother lift pump was a nice upgrade to the 240T in the day?

Sometimes if it?s old gas you can dissolve the varnish with diesel or penetrating oil & sap it back & forth with ~18v from the drill battery & get them moving/varnish dissolved without tearing up turn bushing & back blow the strainer screen.

Some people observe the brushes switching on the windings & wave form signature of a healthy free flowing pump/no clogged filters on the scope to confirm. I?m not that electrically savvy and smart beyond the time capture primitive scope ?calibrated snap shot? on the fluke DVOM & amp clamp.

Idk how you spread the factory crimp to get the guts out of the bullet terminal ~1979+ 949 pump used in the turbo models to rebuild them (not for lack of trying but so easy to crack the casing/factory crimp seems to be ?1 & done? on those/haven?t figured out how to defeat the factory crimp & replace/recombine their guts with quality parts but artisanal/Cuba style?
?diagnose correctly & buy now chinesium & do it all on a shade tree backyard budget-TB mantra?

Last edited:
Years ago, I got a Bosch 69591 on closeout from rockauto. At the time, I remember looking it up and finding that it was a cross to the whatever was the standard Volvo higher-pressure K-Jet pump. I forget the pressure/flow specs, but it was higher than the LH pumps.

That was a great part number! Thanks so much, was able to scoop up a NOS Bosch 0580254949 on eBay by googling it. :)

s-l1600.jpg

Back