• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Eventful day today...went to the only local shop that would both put my car on their rack and align it to my specs.

EfpLW0wh.jpg

6hsbAYvh.jpg

erknAJRh.jpg

Everything was fine until a hoss impact gun was used to reattach my steering wheel adapter once the rack was centered to re-index the wheel. :roll:

PHaXf9ah.jpg

I (surprisingly) did not have a spare adapter or steering wheel, so cue up a 3 hour round trip to Asheville to grab one from Patrick.

vGuVX3Ih.jpg

Feels goofy having a bus wheel back in this thing but hey, it beats vise grips.

Hy8BGmWh.jpg

I only have the front tires mounted at the moment. The rears are just slightly wider than what's on there now, so I have more fender work to do before they'll clear. Hoping to knock that out tomorrow though, then maybe hit the Gap this weekend for the first time since 2014.

Well the battery cable is no longer ziptied to the swaybar lol.

Ran 2ga from the battery to the starter, 4ga from the battery to the alternator, 8ga from the battery to the distribution block, and 2ga for the grounds.

Pretty happy with how everything turned out. Thanks to The Full Banana for the tip on the military spec battery terminals!

Used my hydraulic battery terminal crimper. I wound up going one size up on the crimp die so it wouldn't wing the crimp terminal like it did here, but you get the idea.
N0rWMwFh.jpg

gl8gXOTh.jpg

aq9OUBCh.jpg

The rear tires are now on and (I think) have enough clearance. I'll test that out in the morning.

I also got the piston/regulator from my Volvo power steering pump swapped into the Camaro pump that's on the car. Again, I'll have a better idea of how well that does or doesn't work tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking about making up some solid mount pedestals for the motor too. On the poly mounts, the motor moves just enough that it drags on the steering shaft in hard right turns. That's no good. I could grind the exhaust manifold some, but I really don't think I'll get enough clearance that way. We'll see.

What size tires did you end up with? I swear I saw a post with the specs (and a mention of long term square 275s) but I can't find it.

Love how quickly you're moving on this now.

Jordan

What size tires did you end up with? I swear I saw a post with the specs (and a mention of long term square 275s) but I can't find it.

Love how quickly you're moving on this now.

Jordan

That's the eventual goal. I'll need to move more metal that I easily can with a baseball bat and some choice words to fit that.

I've got 225/45-17 in the front, 255/40-17 in the rear.

I have no words for these tires.

The Sumitomo all seasons that were on there were so old and hard that cracking the throttle in a turn would spin them. I couldn't push the car at all (and really shouldn't have, given the condition of the rear sidewalls) but every turn everywhere was just tire smoke.

No more. I can come into a corner signed for 25mph at 50, and it just stays planted. It's unbelievable. The only time I get spinning coming out of a turn is if I purposely unload the suspension or give it a flick. Other than that, the car is just glued to the pavement. It's kinda wild.

After swapping the Volvo regulator/piston/spring into the Camaro power steering pump, it's better, but still not fixed. The pump no longer groans and whines, but it did puke some fluid out the cap today after about an hour of heavy mountain driving. I think adding a cooler will be the final answer.

I had enough confidence in it to go to the Dragon with it today. I should've held off a couple hours instead of hitting it in the middle of the day, but I still got a couple decent runs in, and people were loving the car.

Tires didn't rub at all, so that's a plus.

QZIj41Hh.jpg

c5TH7xHh.jpg

Nice work man! Must be rewarding AF to finally drive around in this thing and have your expectations be met and even exceded. Enjoy!

Rode over to Asheville today. After a few miles, I noticed the shimmy in the steering wheel had turned into more of a rattle/knock. A stop at my buddy Brock's house revealed a control arm bolt that had loosened up. Whoops. With that fixed, I stopped in to see JD to address some of the idling/stalling issues the car has. Improvements were made, but it's still not out of the woods completely.

5l8eLo7h.jpg

After getting gas, I hit a little whoop on a bridge transition and simultaneously heard a tire rub and smelled the rubber. I pulled over and found this...the fender had somehow un-rolled itself on the passenger side. Can't explain that.

YGtEfLih.jpg

NI44CCth.jpg

Took a pretty good bite out of the tire too. I'm not thrilled.

Anyhow, made a run up 151, one of the twistier roads out here. It basically runs from the Enka area a few miles and dead ends at the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I hopped on the Parkway for a bit, and enjoyed cruising around during the sunset hours.

gErqagBh.jpg

pc9sTlUh.jpg

jqwgrGAh.jpg

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h8LJWD-9MM8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then once I got off the parkway, I hit another whoop and heard the back driver's tire rub, and smelled rubber. I just drove home carefully, and when I pulled into the driveway, I was greeted with another unrolled fender on the other side! I don't understand what's going on. Time to get more medieval with the die grinder and hammer.

igbL7pMh.jpg

So yeah, apart from the spring steel fenders and the front suspension almost falling off, it was a good day.

Probably a little dumb, but I've wanted to make the Killboy highlights at the Gap for years and never have...until this past weekend.

8n578B5h.jpg

i’ve been saying it for years: those headlights are garbage, but they work on this car and this car only.

These are ahkshually ecode housings that take an H4 bulb (I think, it's been a few years) so they're better than sealed beams for sure. I need rewire them so that the current doesn't all go through the switch, but you know, priorities.

The LED retrofit looks killer, but I can't drop a grand on headlights at the moment.

Back