• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

Did you find something wrong inside the MS system or was it more just an exercise of unplugging and replugging all the connections?

Sounds like mine 2 months ago. It was working until an injector driver decided to stick open and flood a cylinder with gasoline.

WCxFtLvh.jpg

Do it dude! This thing is a blast and it?s not even fast. Yours will surely be an absolute riot.
How so not fast? i am running a 'tiny' 15G max. 15 PSI and it does the 0-100km/h in less than 8 seconds. If yours is not even fast it needs a tune or other hardware. What injectors are on?

I guess it’s subjective. It’s no slouch and it makes twice as much power as it did from the factory but, relatively speaking, I wouldn’t call it fast. It does have a lot of room for improvement though.

So when I crashed into this car at Mountain Meet
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/INKeYvwRvEA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had to make it right so I went to a local Volvo junkyard here in Atlanta that I knew had tons of old Volvo parts sitting on shelves collecting dust.

Sure enough when I went the owner climbed to the top of a giant shelf and grabbed the best of a stack of 122 deck lids.
172169561.jpg

He found me a super clean one and only charged me $100

172169562.jpg

172169563.jpg

There was only a few minor imperfections that needed to be fixed and then primed

172169572.jpg

172169574.jpg

172169575.jpg

Then I had a hard time finding the color in our database, so I had to go to the PPG store and they were able to find it

172169564.jpg

172169566.jpg

What they mixed was a solvent based. We are only set up for water based at the shop so we had to do a spray out of the color then use our camera to find the color in our Axalta water based

172169570.jpg

Then we did a spray out in our brand and it matched pretty good, so we started messing around with the clear. We dulled the clear down on the top side so it would somewhat match the rest of the sheen on the car. We used full gloss clear on the jambs/underneath.

172169568.jpg

Then we painted it

172169578.jpg

172169579.jpg

172169580.jpg

And then I drove it up to Andrew and he installed it.

172169581.jpg

Definitely not a 100% color match, but its hard to do when you don't have the car. Usually we use the camera on the car somewhere, get a code, and even play with it a little more before we paint. We sometimes even blend adjacent panels to ensure color match.

Hopefully you like it man. Sorry, and thanks again for being so cool about it.

So when I crashed into this car at Mountain Meet

And then I drove it up to Andrew and he installed it.

172169581.jpg

Definitely not a 100% color match, but its hard to do when you don't have the car. Usually we use the camera on the car somewhere, get a code, and even play with it a little more before we paint. We sometimes even blend adjacent panels to ensure color match.

Hopefully you like it man. Sorry, and thanks again for being so cool about it.

Now the trunk lid looks better than the rear fenders. You may have sent Andrew down the repaint route.

I?m hoping to repaint it next year but we?ll see. There?s a little rust I want to take care of before it becomes a problem. I pulled the wheels off and disassembled them for fresh powdercoat and new hardware. I?m trading the 9? barrels for two more 8? so I can have a square set.

iaoTjcwl.jpg

r01HPsYl.jpg

Not much happening with the car lately but that?s nice. Finished up the wheels a couple months ago and it?s been relatively drama-free which is something I haven?t experienced with this car in some time. I thought I heard a clunk in the front end yesterday so I guess I?ll jack it up and see what?s what. I need to readjust parking brake cables anyway.

QRlrJtcl.jpg

Upon finishing the LMs I promptly bought another set of wheels. They?re currently sent out for machine work, having two lips repaired, and two new ones made. Still not sure if I?ll run them or keep the LMs.

mLmac6Pl.jpg

Window elevator cable detached from the little grommet so I had to replace that.

CE2CJcKl.jpg

Then I got a wild hair and decided to finally do something about the awful faux-wood paneling in my garage. It?s been there since the garage was built and is obviously not for use in humid areas so it was in rough shape. Derrick came by and helped for a couple days. We got everything ripped out and found that over half of one wall had been completely eaten by termites so we had to sister like nine of the studs on that side and then three more on the other plus we had to almost completely rebuild one front corner. I?m not sure how nothing was sagging. It?s all back in good shape now and it turns out I am far too impatient to mud drywall. ?It?ll be good enough for a garage? was stated many times and we moved on.

bnyCS2Ml.jpg

1HXbC5Wl.jpg

eDT4r0Ll.jpg

It’s been a while! My daughter Pearl came along in late 2022 and that really brought projects to a halt. She's a lil' stinker but we're into the toddler phase now which is pretty fun plus I'm finally getting back into some projects.

M90NUV4l.jpg

I finally sourced and built a dream set of Panasport G7C8s for the car and now, after 6 different sets of wheels, I’m completely happy with them. I still look at them every time I park the car. Can’t imagine anything else on it anymore.

FiEEfd2l.jpg

4vv8jIkl.jpg

I had the t5 out and we went through it. It still makes all the t5 noises and kinda shifts like crap. I’ve been a little disenfranchised with the b230 lately. I considered building a short block to swap in later so I’d have something a little more stout but rods/pistons are $1200 plus bearings, machine work, etc. Then I'd want some kind of decent turbo. Just didn’t seem like a direction I wanted to go anymore.

I had been tossing around the idea of starting a new swap since things are a little more routine and I have a garage now. Just thinking it would be nice to take my time, repaint my engine bay, and really try to put something nice together. Looked around at my options - LS is too big and I’m not cutting inner fenders and moving the firewall. K swap would be great but the cost is a no-go. V6 maybe but there are like no good ones that are affordable and worth the effort.

So after I fixated on it for a while this Duratec 2.5 showed up in my driveway for the measly sum of $508 including freight. They're super affordable and have pretty good aftermarket support, parts are available everywhere, and it’s a fairly well-documented swap into RWD cars. Pretty popular swap into early British Fords, Lotuses, MGBs, etc. Variations of it are in '01+ Rangers and NC Miatas which helps with getting it setup RWD. I'll be using an NC 5-speed for now and we'll see how that holds up. Plan is to get it set in the car within the next month or two and get mounts fabbed so I can see what I'm looking at. Hopefully gonna go turbo right from the start but I may keep it NA just to get it going a bit sooner. We'll see how I'm feeling and what the wallet holds later this summer.

cER19XYl.jpg

That pretty much brings us to today. I'll be pulling the b230/t5 pretty soon so if anyone is interested in go-fast parts or b230/Amazon swap parts look for a thread in for sale!

Last edited:
Back