• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Valve Hushers But Still Ticking

stev

I want to know some of your guy's opinion. I put in new valve hushers and checked the valve lash a little while ago and this ticking is still very noticeable. I haven't owned any other 240's or cars before with ticking noise from the valve train to know if this is normal or not. But the ticking is heard at idle and very noticeable at 2-3k rpm, probably at even higher rpms but I can't hear over the exhaust. More noticeable when cold also. And then there is this other noise when I let off the throttle but that just seems to be the same ticking but maybe sounds different.

https://imgur.com/a/Q2TMj9n

Last edited:
The valve lash I checked cold and it was between .12 and .16. I have no idea what cam it is the PO said it is an IPD cam.

The hushers barely work, and usually cause more issues than solve. Without hushers, a 8v should have a very ?sewing machine? sound when everything is set up properly. There will be mechanical noise, but it?ll be? refined(?)? for lack of a better word.

The noise sounds more like piston slap or rod knock. There?s a lot of rattle on decel.

My bad I meant .012-.016. So i checked clearance with hushers and without them because with them there wasn?t any clearance until about .005 or something really small.

So when setting lash with hushers you have to remove them, set lash, then reinstall them. Lash will be much tighter, or zero with new hushers.

I?ve installed some viton (silicone?) hushers before, but I?m not sure where they were sourced. All the black rubber ones fail in very short order.

The aftermarket hushers are made of rubber have a lot of casting flash. The OE ones are much nicer but 6 times the price. They definitely look like silicone or something other than rubber.

31419.jpg

34617.jpg

I couldn't help myself and installed new 'hushers' when I put in a B cam a few months ago. A few weeks after that I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets. With those three things (adjusted valve lash, new hushers and new exhaust gaskets) the engine sound very un-redblock like, pretty smooth and quiet. The 'hushers' will probably fail soon but now I see how they passed off these tractor engines when they were new.

I mean yeah I race my 240 around probably more than I should so maybe they fall apart quicker. Hopefully just an exhaust leak, my cracked header pipe repair might not have been sufficient enough.

Embrace the sewing machine tick.

Also I concur with the exhaust leak theory. That was the source of most weird noises on my car.

Back