• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Are 240 Doors Interchangable?

hnry

I need a passenger door for my '80 242, and obviously it's been pretty hard finding parts for a car this old, let alone from a 2 door. Would the doors from a 244 or 245 fit on a 242, or would there be an issue? Thanks!

You mean besides the obvious difference in length ?

70259.jpg

242 doors are longer than 244/245 doors. There are also early and late 242 doors which has to do with the latches. Those do not interchange. I can?t remember the change over year. It might be 1979.

Last edited:
242 doors are longer than 244/245 doors. There are als early and late 242 doors which has to do with the latches. Those do not interchange. I can?t remember the change over year. It might be 1979.

:nod:

77-78 iirc.

< NB4 the librarian posts the workshop bulletin about it.

Last edited:
That document has some funky math in the mm-inch conversion chart.

So it tells us how to put an early latch into a later door. What are the chances that any of the parts listed for this conversion are still available?

I may be faced with doing it, but I may have another option. I have a couple of 74 doors that have no guts in them. Does anybody know if the guts of an early 240 door would fit in the 74 doors? Seems like that would be easier than changing the lock, if the stuff fits.

The latch piece inside the door is the same part number for late 140/early 240 so the rest of the guts should fit.

The latch piece inside the door is the same part number for late 140/early 240 so the rest of the guts should fit.

I am going to add to my threadjack with another question: Is there any reason that a '75 240 door would not fit on any 140?

More specifically, would the 75 door have the same janky limit strap as a 140?

Cool info, thanks. I have to add my experience, though, with a '78. It has the later style limiter. That would fit with the service bulletin linked above, which indicates that the latch change took effect in '78

You're right, the hinges change in late '75 so I assume that's when the check strap was eliminated and a limiter was added to the lower hinge.

Hmmmm... As I burrow deeper into this string of details, the truth still seems a little out of reach.

I am thinking that the strap is immaterial; the hinges must be interchangeable. So any 240 hinge likely will fit a 140, no?

But how about the lock cylinder? I wonder when that changed...

Hmmmm... As I burrow deeper into this string of details, the truth still seems a little out of reach.

I am thinking that the strap is immaterial; the hinges must be interchangeable. So any 240 hinge likely will fit a 140, no?

But how about the lock cylinder? I wonder when that changed...

No
Some not all

Wtf are you trying to do? Some things interchange and some don?t
Depends ln years etc
For the most part 75 240s are closer to a 73/74 140 then a 76-77 240

140 had so many changes especially in the yearly years that even the door card design changed in shape year to year

?But what about this?? Omg dude !!

1976 244 door on a 1973 164E.

Used the 1976 hinges on the 1973 model car, therefore eliminating the strap. A 1978 door would require modifications to work on a 1967-77 car, since the latch and lock cylinder are different. Volvo has the procedure for modifying a post-1977 door to fit an earlier car in the greenbooks. Have to cut some of the metal out, then fit the older latch, and add an adapter sleeve to the lock cylinder hole to fit the older lock cylinder. Parts are NLA, but might be found on a junker that had its door replaced sometime in the past 40 or so years.

Back