• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

Alright managed to get a little done on the car tonight before I take off tomorrow for work.

I fitted the 28mm IPD bar and new poly bushings. Can't wait to get the rear on as well!

It is slightly larger than the stock bar...

In other news I knew that I wanted to reseal the wheels. One front and one rear didn't hold air very well plus I will be able to polish them a lot better with the bolts out. I had the tires dismounted and unbolted one of the wheels tonight.

I was suprised to find this seal/spacer thing in there:

All the videos and articles I have read were about BBS wheels but they just resealed them with Silicone after getting the sealing surfaces completely clean and free of corrosion. Do I just get rid of this whole thing? and bolt the lips to the barrels? I am a noob when it comes to this.

Assuming I didn't just ruin these wheels I am very excited to get them cleaned and put back on the car. Hopefully you guys can give me a little guidance!

You can still order replacement parts from Gotti so I went ahead and bought new seals and spacers to put these guys back together with.

I also found this: Since I will probably never see one again I bought it. I tried to fit it tonight but the sheet metal is completely different. I assume this is for a 73-74?

You can still order replacement parts from Gotti so I went ahead and bought new seals and spacers to put these guys back together with.

I also found this: Since I will probably never see one again I bought it. I tried to fit it tonight but the sheet metal is completely different. I assume this is for a 73-74?

It's for a 73-74. Do you want to get rid of it? I sent you an IM also.
Let me know.
Steve

Last edited:
Alright managed to get a little done on the car tonight before I take off tomorrow for work.

I fitted the 28mm IPD bar and new poly bushings. Can't wait to get the rear on as well!

In other news I knew that I wanted to reseal the wheels. One front and one rear didn't hold air very well plus I will be able to polish them a lot better with the bolts out. I had the tires dismounted and unbolted one of the wheels tonight.

I was suprised to find this seal/spacer thing in there:

All the videos and articles I have read were about BBS wheels but they just resealed them with Silicone after getting the sealing surfaces completely clean and free of corrosion. Do I just get rid of this whole thing? and bolt the lips to the barrels? I am a noob when it comes to this.

Assuming I didn't just ruin these wheels I am very excited to get them cleaned and put back on the car. Hopefully you guys can give me a little guidance!

Yay. Another 142 on gottis.:uh:

If you reseal the wheels with DOW 832, you don't need to replace the seal. You can keep the seal ring or ditch it, it doesn't matter. It'll affect your over all width either way you go. Even if you replace the seal, I'd still seal the wheels up with the DOW832.

Yay. Another 142 on gottis.:uh:

If you reseal the wheels with DOW 832, you don't need to replace the seal. You can keep the seal ring or ditch it, it doesn't matter. It'll affect your over all width either way you go. Even if you replace the seal, I'd still seal the wheels up with the DOW832.

Thanks for the information Greg. I love your car!

Gotti is still in business so I was able to order brand new support and sealing rings from them in France. I have the mating surfaces on the lip and barrels cleaned up so as soon as the parts arrive I will bolt the wheels back together and see if they will hold air.

If they don't I'll have the tire dismounted and try the sealant.

Alright I got the two leakiest wheels cleaned up and put back together with the brand new seals tonight. Took it out for a test drive to see how the latest round of improvements have changed things.

The IPD 28MM front bar is like night and day on the car. It corners so flat that when I took it on my local windy road I was able to go a lot faster than the crappy 1972 headlights would allow. Can't wait to get it out during the day on the weekend. I have a rear bar to put on it but not sure if I want to drill etc.

Mr Pants is really excited that the car is back on the ground so he can keep trying to break into the window and sleep on the seats...

They don't require any modification to work and the light output is absolutely fantastic. You'll find that probably every retainer clip will break when you try to install them but you can get them new from IPD.

I'm LOVING how the car is progressing man! I've got a line on a pair of rough, but complete 142's that I can pick up for a song, and your thread isn't helping my willpower at all! lolll

Hella H4's, or if you can find them, Cibie H4's put out pretty good light.

The TruckLites that Andrew sent me a link to are awesome but they look a little too modern for my taste. I ordered some Hella H4s this morning. That should really improve the night driving situation and look period correct.

I'm LOVING how the car is progressing man! I've got a line on a pair of rough, but complete 142's that I can pick up for a song, and your thread isn't helping my willpower at all! lolll

Thanks! I love this car, so I highly recommend pulling the trigger on the pair.

isnt it comedy how small the stock bar is?

where did you get new bushings for the 28mm bar?

did you gusset your sway bar link mounts on your control arms?

LOOKIN GOOOOOOD!

isnt it comedy how small the stock bar is?

where did you get new bushings for the 28mm bar?

did you gusset your sway bar link mounts on your control arms?

LOOKIN GOOOOOOD!

The gentleman who sold me the bar generously included new bushings for the 28mm bar.

No I didn't gusset the mounts. What should I use?

In an amazing display of EBAY quick shipping, my Hella H4s showed up the day after I ordered them so I got them mounted when I had some free time this afternoon. Still too light out to tell but it looks like I will be able to see a lot better after testing them in my garage!

I drove the car out to Goleta last night and Keith and I determined that the retaining clips had given up already (probably due to the not so cushy ride with the new springs). Is there an option to make them a little more secure aside from ordering the replacement clips from IPD? Seems stupid that volvo used plastic mounts on something that gets heat cycled as often as lights.

The clips are pretty cheap (cost & manufacture!). I keep a few spares in my glovebox. Surprisingly, only one on my 73 was broken and they looked like they were 40+ years old.

Ordered some clips from IPD but didn't want to wait until later this week to see my much improved lighting. Cobbled the old crumbly ones back together yesterday so I could take it around the block tonight.

Before I took it out, I decided to play around with the timing a little. After a few degrees of advancing the idle sounded better than ever.

A short test drive confirmed that the car ran the best it has since I bought it and the lights are "night and day"

Can't wait to drive it more this weekend but I decided to splurge a little on the rear suspension. More photos to follow soon but in the mean time can someone ID this rear sway:

Also ordered my High Mileage Badges from Volvo. What a good night!

Back