• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

yep- Andrew Nance is sailing the Banana Boat- I miss the old girl.
Too many distractions from the V8 project which is lingering on and on.

I'm with redwood, por has its purpose and thats directly on to rust and even then...
If you're gonna scuff all the rust out I'd get a syringe to inject the seams with ospho as well. Hit up your local auto paint jobber and get an aerosol can of self etch primer(SEM, Cromax etc) as a base then you can cover that with whatever you want.
You may want to grab a tube of seam sealer(fusor800 or similar) if you plan on digging out the old to really get it all.(the seam on the top right in the pic usually rusts through)

Thanks for the advise Redwood and AG. That is the protocol I will go with. How bad does the Ospho smell? My garage shares an iternal door with our living room and I don't want to make our house unlivable lol.

POR Metal Ready is great for that kind of rust. Plug the hole and keep it wetted down with the stuff for 30 min, no smell, then drain back in to the spray bottle because its reusable. It leaves a nice zinc phosphate coating that makes it easy for a good primer to stick to.

ospho doesn't have a strong smell at all, just mind the drips as it'll burn/discolor the garage floor, the etch primer is a different story.

and def spend $10 on one of these
mmm9099na.jpg

I tried sanding by hand but then gave up and took the recommendation for the drill mounted paint and rust stripper attachment. Much much easier.

After two coats of primer and one coat of flat black BBQ paint we have this:

To celebrate/air out my garage I took it for a little drive and snapped this on the way:

The rear end is lowered a little bit more and didn't rub or do anything silly on the drive tonight so I am probably going to leave it where it is now! Such a fun little car.

How do you like those torque rods?

I love them! There might be slightly more nvh on the freeway but overall vs worn out rubber bushings the rear end feels really tight and planted. Plus yoshifab is in California so they got shipped to me within minutes of ordering. They are really nicely constructed.

The original antennae was broken so it was up all the time. This was charming but also annoying. This evening I put in a Hirschmann 770b that was on ebay for 240s. I like the option of retracting the antennae and it looks a lot cleaner with the antennae out of the way

Yay improvement!

Finally got something corrected that had been driving me crazy on the car. I put those Carrera shocks on the front. They were an insane pain in the ass since they were too wide for the stock hole so I had to drop the lower control arm and then put them in from above with the spring. For some reason when I put them in I didnt put a bushing between the top and the bottom of where the shock bolts to the upper control arm. I don't think I had enough threads or something. Can't really fathom why I would have done that...

This part was just in contact with the metal of the control arm and it made all sorts of awful noises. I bought some KYBs from a member here on TB and put them in tonight. All front end noises are cured. One step closer to having it ready to drive at our wedding!

Another huge improvement is on its way from CT and should arrive by Thursday!

Look what showed up today!

I was so excited to find the exact seats that I was looking for. The brown will be a perfect match for the original interior but they offer a lot more bolstering than the stock seats. The goal has always been to make a car that could have been made by Volvo Sport in the 70s and I think the Recaros cap that look.

Now that I found them I need to figure out how to get them mounted to the car...

Look what showed up today!

I was so excited to find the exact seats that I was looking for. The brown will be a perfect match for the original interior but they offer a lot more bolstering than the stock seats. The goal has always been to make a car that could have been made by Volvo Sport in the 70s and I think the Recaros cap that look.

Now that I found them I need to figure out how to get them mounted to the car...

AWESOME!!! I was hoping you were who snagged those seats! I can't wait to see them mounted in the car man! :)

AWESOME!!! I was hoping you were who snagged those seats! I can't wait to see them mounted in the car man! :)

I'm not one to wait around and waste time, here they are sitting on the stock sliders in the car!!

They aren't an absolutely dead match for the rear seats but I am thrilled with how it looks in person!

Back