• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rock Auto Windshield

Honestly I'd just call Safelite and have it done. The guy did a nice job, and gave me a good discount for helping him R&R the cowl panel.. That on top of the online discount I applied when I prepaid for the job, got me an installed windshield for $160.

unless you have experience with installing windshields.

Thanks - already ruled that out. I'm going to fit wider trim to the brand new windshield to cover up a paint line (should have removed windshield when painting) and no one I've talked with - big shops like Safelite and smaller moms/pops - has the least bit of interest in working with me on that. Besides, whenever I can avoid having someone else work on the car, things turn out better. I'll be slower -- but more thorough/more careful. Thanks for the bump.

My experience when I put the glass in the 242 is that all of the available 240 glass is coming from China one way or another. We know a glass guy and I spoke with him at some length about Pilkington glass after seeing it recommended here frequently. What I don't think most on this site realize is that you can ask for, and receive, a Pilkington supplied windshield for your 240... which Pilkington sourced from China. He did provide me with some recommendations on suppliers to use, but the good and bad 3-letter acronyms are escaping me (I work in aerospace and my head is swimming with them...)

I'll see if I can dig that info back out. Sorry I do not have direct experience with the Rock Auto glass, but thought I would add those 2c because I am SURE someone will come in telling you to get Pilkington.

What I don't think most on this site realize is that you can ask for, and receive, a Pilkington supplied windshield for your 240... which Pilkington sourced from China.

That was my experience with the windshield replacement on my previous 940. Ordered a PPG and got no name, wavy, Chinese glass. Refused that and had them order a Pilkington and got no name, less wavy, but still Chinese sourced glass from a Pilkington distributor.

That was my experience with the windshield replacement on my previous 940. Ordered a PPG and got no name, wavy, Chinese glass. Refused that and had them order a Pilkington and got no name, less wavy, but still Chinese sourced glass from a Pilkington distributor.

I was told there is, as you'd expect, a range of quality coming out of China as well. From the pure crap to the perfectly acceptable.

I do recall having no choice on getting shaded glass though, I think that's all they had.

Thx guys....my conclusion was even a lower quality new unit will be a significant improvemnt over my pitted 36 year old shield. I'm exploring just purchasing local as well. Even having them come, remove mine and then just pay them and have them leave the windshield so I can mod it.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good way to go. I had my windshield replaced this past summer. He told me the glass is supplied with the new type trim already installed at the factory so there is no changing the size of the rubber lip unless you do it after buying the windshield. That of course invalidates any warranty. I used a local company called Normans Glass and installed with tax was 271 and change. I think it was fair compared to the prices around here.

He also told me that they aren't allowed to use the butyl tape anymore to install windshields as it is a hazardous waste and supposedly our state outlawed shops using it. So my original butyl tape windshield is glued in with the urethane glue.

For my 93 wagon.

Last edited:
They're not hard to cut out with a thin bladed paring knife or similar.

Scrape with a sharp stick and clean with kerosene then wipe with acetone to clean the surround and paint your scratches so it doesn't start rusting right away.

FWIW:
You'll need to get new plastic clips if you want to reuse the old trim.

3M 08612 Window-Weld 3/8' x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Kit

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I want the newer "flush" windshield trim -- no need to try and save old trim/clips. I have access to the wider replacement trim. Since installing myself, obviously I've pre-voided any warranty. Such is life. LOL Did a test run on a cracked windshield at the pick/pull. High e-string off my acoustic geetar made short work of the butyl seal.

FWIW - one guy at a local mom/pop told me if I parked the car in the sun during the middle of a summer afternoon -- it would be relatively easy for two people in the front seats to simply push the windshield out using their feet. Who knows? But don't want to wait until then - so I'll try cutting it with the guitar string.

Thanks for 3M pic/tip - that looks easier than the 'butyl' tapes I've been researching.

Last edited:
Hard To Find Good Help These Days...

Installers generally aren't allowed to use butyl flex because modern cars (94+?) use the windshield as a structural element.

Most that work for a company aren't allowed to reuse glass either, the on side of the Junkyard glass places being the obvious exception.

Generally they'll prime the new glass with the special primer, remove the windshield, smooth the butyl a little (because they hate it and their wax and grease remover won't touch it) and run a bead of the hard set urethane right on top of the remnants of the old butyl and go go go.

Of course that strategy leaves you with a scratched up pinch weld, and a poor bond between the dissimilar old butyl and the new urethane.

So yea DIY is my advice, or provide them with a clean slate when they show up to slam it in with their urethane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yep the old-timer is right in fact if you cut it loose push the top out @ 1" then lift and rock it with a helper upwards on it's axis you can even get the windshield out intact.

I've done it 3 or 4 times..

Last edited:
Good chance you are going to find at least a little rust under there to treat. I used a local 'one man and a truck' glass man for the wagon and its 33 year old sand blasted glass. He pulled it and left for me to clean up the channel and get it ready for the new glass. Came back after paint and put the new glass in. Think I paid $160 for the glass and two trips.

I would suggest that you get all of the butyl off before getting any solvent near it. My glass man used pre wetted Tub of Towels to remove the last of the butyl without dissolving it and getting it everywhere. Great product for all auto cleanup including hands.

https://www.tubotowels.com/product/hand-auto-grease-cleaning-wipes

With the glass out the dash cap can be permanently attached much easier.

Thx Tom. Your glass guy recommended a mom/pop shop here he used to work for, but they’re not interested. I like being able to remove the cap.

I did the opposite, removed my glass and did all the cleaning and prep, then had the local guy plop it in while I was at work.

Nothing like new glass!

Need new glass for the Wife's car, the butyl at the corners are shrinking and the trim is coming loose creating a lovely whistle when cruising down the interstate...

My 93 windshield was using the butyl tape and the guy spent a bit of time cleaning and removing the remnants of the stuff. He told me it was the original glass and he hated that stuff. lol.

They were impressed at how well made a 240 was. They called my car a tank at the place. Told me nothing newer feels like these cars.

For removing butyl wear rubber gloves pull some off and use it to pull off the rest then leave on glove and trash it

Back