• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt and Yoshi CAS... No trigger signal?

boostin'xr4

OV FIRE
I am probably missing something stupid. But here's the deal.

It's an '82 244 GLT. B21FT, etc. Running a 106E Volkswagen 4 tower wasted spark coil and Yoshifab CAS with hi res wheel. I have yet to start it since converting to the CAS.

I'm getting absolutely nothing on the tooth log. Of the 4 pins on the CAS, red goes to verified switched power, black goes to MS sensor ground, yellow goes to VR2-, and white goes to VR1-. VR1 + and VR2+ are stubbed and not used. The shielding and ground wires around each VR cable are soldered to "sensor ground". A 1k pullup is inline from VREF to each cam and crank wire, which is then connected to the corresponding VR-.

I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?
Edit: Ground checks out. Also CAS has power while cranking. Same switched power source as MS and injectors.

Last edited:
I cranked my Yoshifab adapter so much without the engine firing it locked up on me since it wasn't getting splashed with oil. You might want to take the cas off and dribble a little motor oil down onto the shaft. It made my timing belt jump time. I was getting a good signal on the composite logger but I think there adapter was a tooth off since I only got it to chuff a couple times no matter what I put into TS.

I cranked my Yoshifab adapter so much without the engine firing it locked up on me since it wasn't getting splashed with oil. You might want to take the cas off and dribble a little motor oil down onto the shaft. It made my timing belt jump time. I was getting a good signal on the composite logger but I think there adapter was a tooth off since I only got it to chuff a couple times no matter what I put into TS.

you can put in zero to 720 for TDC angle, that will cover any possible alignment situation

you can put in zero to 720 for TDC angle, that will cover any possible alignment situation

Yeah I was getting close when the adapter locked up, I had an event I wanted to do so I put the single coil lh2.2 distributor (ezk117 or whatever) back in, I'll try it again later when I'm done fixing all the other ish that needs fixing.

Composite log is a ghost town. Not a thing. I've done every possible combinations of triggers on these cars and never had an issue like this. Anyone had a DOA new CAS?

Unplug the CAS connector and, with key on, measure the voltages at the CAS connector:
- from CAS black wire, to battery +12v post (should be 12v)
- from CAS red wire, to battery - post (should be 12v)
- from CAS white and yellow wires to battery - post (5v each, due to pullup to MS Vref)

If this is is OK, start up a composite log. Touch a scrap wire to one of the Cam/Crank white/yellow connector pins and tap the other end rhythmically to the battery ground post. This should simulate the CAS grounding the Cam/Crank signals as the wheel goes past the hall/opto sensor. The composite log should show something.

That's common enough. Happened to me on a micro install, due to a document I had found on the googs that told me to wire it that way. However, I was able to at least see it on the composite logger that my signals were swapped.

What's strange is I had no signal at all. When I swapped them I did solder 2 new pullups. Maybe one was bad. Tomorrow I try to start it and sync base timing.

Back