• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Door won't open, how to open so I can fix it?

ChrisOFNA

1993 Volvo 240 Sedan.

I'm trying to get all the little crap fixed before I get my engine and transmission back in so I can start wiring up the computer and attempt to start this car. Got a problem though, My rear driver door has a broken latch or something. It won't open on the inside or outside. How would someone get the door open so I can pull off the interior door card to fix it? Is there like, a linkage in the door I might be able to hook with a slim jim to pop it open?

I would be very sad if I have to cut up a super clean black interior door card. I will see if I can get the door card off but it seems impossibru with it closed.

battering-ram-full.jpg

When I had to deal with a rear door that won't open. I took off the door card from inside the car. It wasn't easy to get it off. However, with some careful bending I was able to finagle it out. I recommend Wurth HHS Plus for lubricate the latches and linkage. Stuff works fantastic.

once the arm comes off there's a bit more play for popping stuff off. You may also be able to take apart the handle from the inside, and that might give enough access to free the stuck portion.

The door cards hook onto the top to seal to the window better, so once the arm is out you may be able to carefully pop them off there with a plastic pry bar

I just found that by pulling up on the lock knob while pulling out on the handle, the door finally opened. Does linkage need adjustment? I lubed the latch once I got it open but it doesn't help.

The rod that is attached to the handle is threaded. Adjust down, make it shorter so you have more upward pull on the handle. The rod for the knob goes into the lock motor. You may want to grease that. I would also now take the door panel off and grease the sliding mechanism that moves with inside handle. Lube your latches too.

Back