• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

**RSI Cam Review Thread**

maxman142001

I like turtles
Hey Everyone,
Figure these have been out long enough for a review thread:)

Stage II Turbo Cam
10.5mm intake lift 225 degrees duration at .050"
11.96mm Exhaust lift 254 degrees duration at .050"
112 degrees LSA
http://yhst-26451710505916.stores.yahoo.net/8vpeca.html

Heres my current setup:
1991 B230FT
MSD Ignition 6A
LAO Chips
CAPTAIN BONDO HEADER
HRC 16g Turbo
3" Exhaust
3" Intake(012 AMM)
RSI Stage 1(II) Cam
BIG Valve 531 Head
.038 MLS HG
Roger Dee Underdrive Pulley
NPR Intercooler
E-Fan
60lb Injectors(4bar)
Autolight A63's gapped @ .028"

So far this cam is awesome! Pulls great everywhere. I broke it in timed straight up, and decided yesterday to advance it 2 degrees...man does it pull hard now! Off the line isnt perfect but with my header and fast spooling turbo it doesnt matter. I imagine with a Holset it might be kind of a dog off the line timed straight up but will push you back into your seat around 3k for sure. Idle is a bit rough with the K cam profile but running with LH 2.4 or Megasquirt it shouldnt cause any issues. Cant wait to take this setup to the REV limiter once I get a few issues squared away and get my damn wideband in..

This is coming from a IPD Turbo cam which is a GREAT cam BTW, but for people looking for a improved setup for a track car or a fast DD grab one of these:nod:

Anyone else thats running one, feel free to post PIC, info, reviews, opinions, ect

-Leland

Same cam straight up.

15Gturbo
94 B230FT bottom end
1983 B23F head (160 I believe stock except double valve springs)
38lb/hr (400cc) injectors
90+ mani
3" mandrel from turbo on.

192RWHP, 243 Lb/ft RW torque on what I believe was a Mustang Dyno. Boost spikes real low at about 2400rpm to 17psi, settles to 15 @ 3000rpm, then slow drops off to 11psi @ 6500rpm. I have revved this cam to 7500rpm, and it still pulls even when the boost is dropping off.

With larger injectors I can then fix the boost drop but not until. With my Group 6 head, 12psi boost, and in poor condition (head was damaged in more ways than one) I pulled 202 hp and 208 torque Rear wheel.

great cam, and highly recommended. We really liked it's power curve on the Dyno, even with the boost drop at higher RPM.

EDIT: car now has an ebay 50 Trim turbo and boosting at 20 psi we got up to 253 WHP and 259 WTQ. Pulls like crazy to 7k RPM. The lag though is kinda in the way but that may have more to do with a big turbo and an 8V head that does not flow that well. The cam may be part of this since the low RPM gas flow may have decreased over say a T cam. You can't have the low rpm torque and High rpm power on a stock head. The head needs to flow more to compliment both ends of the spectrum and compliment a good cam. I still believe the RSI cam is the best cam I ever had. I have had cars with the Unitek phase 1, IPD turbo cam, and now the RSI cam :end edit:

PJ

Last edited:
From the RSI site.

Our Stage I camshaft is a dual pattern cam with a larger lobe on the exhaust side as a means to help counterbalance the disproportionately small exhaust valve/flow in our 8v heads.

So how are things affected by having larger valves on the hot side and some head porting?

Driving around with the stage 1 cam for a few weeks now. Timed straight up.
Idle is a little bit lumpy, but nothing serious. Probably because of a little mixture draw through messing up the o2 readings. A little bit dull until ~2000. Pulls linear from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. From around 5000rpm its definitely the small 15g comp thats holding it back.

Setup

'95 940T
'93 B230FT
Custom chips
Ported 90+
Angled 15g
3" Exhaust
Phenolic spacers
RSI Stage I

I've run a stage II cam for the whole summer. I kept it timed straight up until the end of the summer when I tried different setting and finally put it a +2. I previously tried the A cam and the ipd turbo cam and I am much more impressed with the Rsi cam, but the setup was so different back then, it's hard to make comparison.

Its got way less torq than the "T" out of idle but it was never a problem to launch the car even with the lightened flywheel. Cold idle is a bit rough but it could be a tuning issue. I really doesn't care, I like the car to shake :rofl: At around 4500rpm the engine really turns on, feel a bit like an n/a 16v the way the power comes. On my setup the power start to drop at 6200, ported 90+ & .48 cossie hotside is probably the weak link on the exhaust.

With this cam the car made 285whp @ 16psi and 289whp @ 18psi.

My setup is;
94 b230ft
Msns1 v3.0 running boost control
Ported 90+
.50trim/.48 cossie
3" exhaust
38mm ex. valve
P&P 530
Stg II cam
Ebay 31x12x3 Ic
550cc

Yeah I love it. Running E85 and see how it pulls to 7.5k or should I say peels the wheels to 7.5 on the first run there in this vid.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vB3c4fRXSwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vB3c4fRXSwU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Also...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=164892&highlight=simon

Simon

Last edited:
Hi, hows that RSI Cam comparable to the VX cam?

That cam pulls very hard with 15g @ about 4500rpm und wont stop until rev limiter

Hi, hows that RSI Cam comparable to the VX cam?

That cam pulls very hard with 15g @ about 4500rpm und wont stop until rev limiter

This cam will pull harder. if you want to retain low end, get an adjustable gear as well and set it at an advance.

What specifically are you looking for?
We can make or do anything you can afford. ;-)

Hi, first of all i would like to see a nice web2.0 shop with all your crafted wondergoods in big HiRes Pics..

I could explode seeing all that sleeping wonderstuff in old scrabby shops with no or really bad customer support in sweden.. do some work to your shop page, write some understandble text to big pics, do some news and updates and youll see, there will be also a lot of customers from germany, sweden, netherlands, poland and finland who are interested in your parts! :)

But for my part it looks a little bit dubious to guys who dont know ya via turbobricks. Understand what im talking about ? Dont take it amiss, its just constructive critique :)

And while we are talking about.. whats about a complete 16V conversion kit ? ;)

Like short struts? :lol:
I slapped him upside the head for you to get the specs sent out to you asap. :oops:

Hi, first of all i would like to see a nice web2.0 shop with all your crafted wondergoods in big HiRes Pics..

I could explode seeing all that sleeping wonderstuff in old scrabby shops with no or really bad customer support in sweden.. do some work to your shop page, write some understandble text to big pics, do some news and updates and youll see, there will be also a lot of customers from germany, sweden, netherlands, poland and finland who are interested in your parts! :)

But for my part it looks a little bit dubious to guys who dont know ya via turbobricks. Understand what im talking about ? Dont take it amiss, its just constructive critique :)

And while we are talking about.. whats about a complete 16V conversion kit ? ;)
I appreciate the constructive criticism always.

Our current website is a decent start, but we realize that it is far from perfect. Unfortunately it often gets neglected do to it being something we work on as we can in our spare time. To farm it out to a professional is very expensive. We were just talking about it last night actually. We would love to do a lot more extensive product list, more news on products in development, more updates on projects we are working on and even past projects/customer galleries. It takes a lot of time to update and add content. It's essentially a full-time job. Be patient, it will improve and we will add more as often as we can.

Almost 70% of our product sales are from the Nordic countries.

A 16v conversion "kit" from RSI is highly unlikely at this point. There are several parts out there already ( search Yoshifab ) to help enthusiasts make the conversion easier if you look.
We can make your conversion a bit more extreme with our cranks, rods, pistons, headwork and header if you are looking to make a lot of power. And of course we do a lot of one-off custom builds for customer's particular needs.

I would think we would offer whiteblock swap parts before 16v parts at this point. We are just starting a built 5cyl, GT32/35, M90, EMS and custom int/exh manifolds project on a customer's 745ti. Should be a nice project that will develope some parts we can sell to other customers in the future.

Back