home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
initialD
Board Member

Default M46 oil

can i put this in my M46, istīs ATF and type F "red fluid"

itīs the onlyone i can find , i put valvuline first and the OD was entering at all gears :(

trying to put this back together tomorow

initialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Don't put that in, it's the wrong fluid. You should be able to find Type F at most auto parts stores. People also have good luck with Redline MTL.

You can also run regular SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30 engine oil without problems.

Per Volvo glovebox manual:
Quote:
Manual transmission with overdrive (M46)
Capacity: 2.4 US qts (2.3 liters)
Fluid type: Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F or G(FLM). Engine oil (SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30) is recommended for use in areas where the temperature seldom drops below 14°F (-10°C).
Note! Do not mix ATF and engine oil.
Replace: at 600-1,200 mile (1,000-2,000 km)service only.
The oil level should be up to the filler plug. Drain the oil immediately after driving, while it is still hot, by removing plug.
Transmission and overdrive are lubricated by the same oil. Therefore, when the oil is drained through the drain plug, also remove cover on the overdrive and clean strainer.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
initialD
Board Member

is it bad????

they tool me itīs the best!!!

:(
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
initialD
Board Member

there is no problem at all to put engine oil???

real???

so many problems to find the ATF and if i can put engine oil itīs alot easier
Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
TVS
Board Member

Because of the OD unit they do not recommend using motor oil.

"Any" ATF that is NOT Dexron should be OK, so F type or G type ATF is fine.

If you simply cant find any suitable oil, put in synthetic transmission oil, I have a 400+k miles done M46 that is quite tired, and I've for long been planning to test the synthetic oil because the bearings are a bit worn so it could help a bit
TVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
initialD
Board Member

buy more two

can i put one of them???

Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
initialD
Board Member

going to start now, and donīt no yet witch on can i put :( damn
Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
TVS
Board Member

It has anyway been said, so we cant help you any more?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialD View Post
going to start now, and donīt no yet witch on can i put :( damn
Put in the 10w40 motor oil. Of all the lubricants you showed- it's the only one that meets the specs from Volvo. Putting in the wrong fluid can destroy the overdrive clutch!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
initialD
Board Member

Volvo give me dextron III form my M46, and i said that it canīt be that

so they show me all the gear oils availlble un portugal:

none is type F or type G !! , i put regular valvuline in, and try to get the normal atf from ebay or something

it looks like new

Old 04-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
initialD
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS View Post
It has anyway been said, so we cant help you any more?

yes you can ;) i put valvuline, but just for some days till i get the One i need!!!!

i put a bronze/ceramic cluch, donīt want to ruin it itīs almost as expensive as the all wagon
Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
TVS
Board Member

OK, I'll try to explain what oil is needed and why. Basically, the 4 first gears ie. the tranny itself could do fine with the (Api) GL-4 75-90 oil, or even motor oil. But the OD unit causes the issues, as it is a planetary gear-type, it has the hydraulic operated clutch(for the fifth gear), which is similar to the ones in automatic transmissions. It "requires" some sort of ATF oil to operate correctly. The problem is, that todays automatic trannies are made so that they slip "controlled" just a bit when it changes gear. To make this work, they make these Dexron xxx ATF, which has some additives that cause that "controlled" slip. But when you put that oil in the manual tranny, it causes your synchro rings to slip, which causes them to wear out in no-time, and then your tranny becomes a Fuller, which most of us dont want. So basically you need ATF, but cant use Dexron type ATF, which leaves us with a few options: a: Find F-type or G-Type ATF, here it can be found quite easily(old Ford spec oil, dont remember exactly what). Or b: ignore the construction of the OD unit, use synthetic GL-4 transmission oil and engage the OD carefully enough. The 4 first gears should work better with option b, but I still have not tested how the OD works with it so on your own risk.

E: sorry for unclear expressions, writing that kind of text in a foreign language aint that easy. Try to get the idea.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
initialD
Board Member

Quote:
OK, I'll try to explain what oil is needed and why. Basically, the 4 first gears ie. the tranny itself could do fine with the (Api) GL-4 75-90 oil, or even motor oil. But the OD unit causes the issues, as it is a planetary gear-type, it has the hydraulic operated clutch(for the fifth gear), which is similar to the ones in automatic transmissions. It "requires" some sort of ATF oil to operate correctly. The problem is, that todays automatic trannies are made so that they slip "controlled" just a bit when it changes gear. To make this work, they make these Dexron xxx ATF, which has some additives that cause that "controlled" slip. But when you put that oil in the manual tranny, it causes your synchro rings to slip, which causes them to wear out in no-time, and then your tranny becomes a Fuller, which most of us dont want. So basically you need ATF, but cant use Dexron type ATF, which leaves us with a few options: a: Find F-type or G-Type ATF, here it can be found quite easily(old Ford spec oil, dont remember exactly what). Or b: ignore the construction of the OD unit, use synthetic GL-4 transmission oil and engage the OD carefully enough. The 4 first gears should work better with option b, but I still have not tested how the OD works with it so on your own risk.

E: sorry for unclear expressions, writing that kind of text in a foreign language aint that easy. Try to get the idea.

Thanks ALLLLOOOTT i think i understand everithing, i just need any ATF oil tupe F or G But no dexron, the problem is that i don see any :(

i had seen this somewere in the net as the one for M46

Oleo AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid

Ref. ART-01 Embalagens de 1/4 galão ( Quase 1 litro )

do you no if itīs good?

http://www.americansyntheticoil.com/...nsmission.html
Old 04-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #14
TVS
Board Member

Tractor stores might have the oil you need.(No, not a joke)

E: the oil in your link seems to be fine.

Last edited by TVS; 04-18-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
casioqv
Mad Engineer

I don't understand why you don't just use regular 10w40 motor oil, since Volvo recommends it for the transmission they designed, and many people have been running M46s that way for decades without problems.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #16
TVS
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I don't understand why you don't just use regular 10w40 motor oil, since Volvo recommends it for the transmission they designed, and many people have been running M46s that way for decades without problems.
I'm curious about the source for this info. The 200-series Greenbook says nothing about motor oil for the tranny, I've heard that it does say that in M40s, but not for the 45/46/47. Other interesting test would be synthetic gl-4, lets say VS200 or some similar oil, it seems to work very well in M47, but I dont know anyone testing it in M46
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #17
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Quote:
I'm curious about the source for this info. The 200-series Greenbook says nothing about motor oil for the tranny, I've heard that it does say that in M40s, but not for the 45/46/47. Other interesting test would be synthetic gl-4, lets say VS200 or some similar oil, it seems to work very well in M47, but I dont know anyone testing it in M46
I quoted word for word the factory glovebox manual for my 740 Turbo above:

Fluid type: Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F or G(FLM). Engine oil (SAE 10W/40 or 10W/30) is recommended for use in areas where the temperature seldom drops below 14°F (-10°C).

Basically, unless you live in an extremely cold climate, Volvo recommends engine oil over the ATF!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
initialD
Board Member

So every on agrees in the

AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid

?????

Going to put it!!!

ok ??
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
TVS
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I quoted word for word the factory glovebox manual for my 740 Turbo above:

Basically, unless you live in an extremely cold climate, Volvo recommends engine oil over the ATF!
Now that is interesting, eu model manual only says the ATF, at least the 2 that I have.
Thanks for the info, I shall try the gear oil someday before the M46 is totaled, I got nothing to lose anymore so I think its worth a try with the VS200.

Last edited by TVS; 04-20-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
initialD
Board Member

arriving tomorow
the
Oleo AMSOIL Supershift Racing Transmission Fluid
60€ 2,8L

must be like even damn iīm geting poor
Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
WindowsBreakerG4
ALDORF THE DESTROYER OF WHITE SHIRTS

Quote:
Now that is interesting, eu model manual only says the ATF, at least the 2 that I have.
Thanks for the info, I shall try the gear oil someday before the M46 is totaled, I got nothing to lose anymore so I think its worth a try with the VS200.
I've been running 10-30 Mobile 1 in my trans with out an issue (actually i think it's a mix of 5 30 and 10 30 but it doesn't give me any issues).THe m46 in my car shifts smoother and feels better over all then it ever did with atf or mtl. My old M46 had an OD that stopped wanting to engage (cone clutch was dead at this point, I was just trying to limp it another month or 2) put 10/40 in and the OD worked great once again (still had no reverse but that's what happens when the cone clutch is dead).
She was pretty damn hot. And she folded my clothes and made me breakfast in bed
Towery wants to get me drunk but doug already is. Don't trust a drunk Towery he will slip you the old stiff one eye

I AM ALDORF THE DESTROYER
1985 744ti M46 -3rd, 15g, 3" exhaust, Ported Head, 333,333 miles
91 945 Turbo 3 pedal auto, DD
83 242 Turbo Flathood
15 Golf TDI 6 Speed

Doug <3 me. Not scottyd. doug was here again
WindowsBreakerG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
TVS
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsBreakerG4 View Post
I've been running 10-30 Mobile 1 in my trans with out an issue (actually i think it's a mix of 5 30 and 10 30 but it doesn't give me any issues).THe m46 in my car shifts smoother and feels better over all then it ever did with atf or mtl. My old M46 had an OD that stopped wanting to engage (cone clutch was dead at this point, I was just trying to limp it another month or 2) put 10/40 in and the OD worked great once again (still had no reverse but that's what happens when the cone clutch is dead).
Good info, thanks. My issue is a bit different, the tranny hasnt been serviced so well, and it has done 400k miles+, and at least some time with a clutch that doesnt completely release -> first and second gear are quite synchro-less, and the bearings make noice, plus the OD bearings also seem a bit shot as it shouts in OD more or less... It engages the OD at 40mph(no, I dont use itbelow 55mph, just tested), so the tranny works, but is just about done. I actually have a fresh M46, but have no interest to swap it before this one is either totaled or healed with some other oil
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
fige
KING OF TBOT

Your transmission still working?
fige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #24
jeblieWun
Board Member

. . . . . .

Last edited by jeblieWun; 06-13-2012 at 11:55 PM..
jeblieWun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #25
Ondra.

I am running on M46 with SAE 75W-80 API GL4 http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...5w-80/1015971/ for 35000 miles (8 yrs) and 1-4 gears and Overdrive works still perfect....
Ondra. is offline   Reply With Quote