• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage PV544 Master Cylinder same as Willys Jeep WW2?

CoconutColin

I pull leaking master cylinder off pv544.

Look at number. Wagner FD4564.

Search in Google.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51790

Find that military jeeps use the same master as this pv544. Cant find a single master cylinder for the pv544 with my suppliers. But can find 10 for Willys Jeeps.

Does anyone know which willys jeep is the EXACT MATCH?

I'm not sure of the parts interchange. But I do know that the brakes, from master cylinder, to wheel cylinders, to brake shoes, is all Wagner. Years ago when I was doing the initial restore on my PV, I was able to get brand new brake parts at a local 'greasy counter' parts store, right off the shelves, for dirt cheap prices. They sure as hell weren't stocking them for old Volvo's. I never asked about a master cylinder though.

The older master cylinders will probably have a reservoir built into the top - the later (not sure what year) PV's used a plastic reservoir on the firewall with aline leading to a version of the MC with no reservoir. From what I understand this later version is harder to find now.

1944 MB. Willys Jeep MB that is.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106524

Copy_of_S5300095.JPG

You can see my number is the casting number then there are 3 other master cylinders.

And a little quick googling seems to indicate that this is the kind with the reservoir:
http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/servlet/the-1365/MASTER-CYLINDER-WAGNER-/Detail

http://shop.industrialbrakeandclutch.com/BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-FD6086-FD4564-M608602.htm

All you really need to do to use this style is drill and tap a hole in the lid. Or just ditch the firewall mounted reservoir and just check and fill the brake fluid down at the master cylinder. Not very convenient, not easy to see if you're getting low on fluid, though.

If your search 44 willys on rockauto.com go to master cylidners and cross refrence the master cylinders this comes up:
CENTRIC Part # 13058002 :
JEEP WILLYS (1942 - 1953)
VOLVO 445 (1956 - 1960)
VOLVO 544 (1959 - 1960)

BENDIX Part # 11053
AMERICAN MOTORS AMERICAN 1960
FORD F-250 (1953 - 1956)
HUDSON JET 1954
JEEP CJ3 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP CJ5 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP CJ5A 1966
JEEP CJ6 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP CJ6A 1966
JEEP DJ3 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP DJ5 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP DJ6 (1965 - 1966)
JEEP WILLYS (1942 - 1952)
KAISER-FRAZER DELUXE 1950
KAISER-FRAZER SPECIAL 1950
NASH AMBASSADOR CUSTOM (1955 - 1957)
NASH AMBASSADOR SPECIAL 1956
NASH AMBASSADOR SUPER (1955 - 1957)
NASH RAMBLER (1950 - 1957)
NASH STATESMAN (1955 - 1956)
PACKARD CLIPPER 1957
PACKARD HAWK 1958
PACKARD HENNEY CHASSIS 1958
STUDEBAKER LARK 1959
STUDEBAKER SILVER HAWK 1959

There you have it TB. Depending on the after market manufacturer. they include it or dont. When i order my master cylinder i will be calling for the willys 44 jeep.

So did you car have the built in reservoir or not?

In any case, the single circuit brakes on my PV are a bit scary to ponder, I had a failure once before. I was my assembly error on the rear brakes, but still, goes to show how one single failure anywhere in the system results in no brakes at all.

I plan on swapping the master cylinder for something with two circuits at some point (like this side mount Willwood MC: http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-11097 ) - that way there's a half chance I could still stop the car after something pops.

Bore size is 5/8 on that. You will drastically effect your braking, I feel. I have the built in reservoir. It doesn't matter at all. Its 1 inch bore, with a 1 1/8' stroke with a 1/2 x 20 thread pitch. We are GOOD. Someone who owned my PV before me figured out that you could use the master cylinder off the Willys Jeep and all the vehicles listed above. New master is only 78.29 and thats a much cooler price then what it was before. I have new wheel cylinders, and brake lines, so im not going to have to worry about topping up my brake fluid.

Are you keeping the front drums? Those can be 'interesting' if you add some HP to the equation.

Everything is stock. On the 444 im going to weld up custom everything. the 544, everything is bone stock. the original engine was a b16 but i put in a b18 just because its a bit easier to source parts.

Do a few hard stops in quick succession and you'll get the excitement of 'brake fade'. Such a charming bit of vintage terror.

After experiencing it a couple of times, I swapped some 122 discs on the front.

PS: What year is you 544 again? A quick google says the 61- cars should probably have had the remote reservoir. But it sounds like a previous owner may have substituted the internal reservoir version because it was easier to find.

663418.jpg

663468.jpg

VP sells a cap to convert the internal reservoir to the remote style. It gets a little pricey when you add in the cost of the reservoir, bracket, metal pipe, and special rubber hose though.

AD15.jpg

Update. I had to drill a hole as the mounting bolts were about 3/4 inch wider. Master is the same bore and stroke and the triple split bolted right up. remember to get banjo bolts.

If you dont have any leaks, you wont feel a difference in pressure. There is no reason to suspect a leaking brake system

So you figured out the interchange, bought the part locally, and installed it all in one day? You move fast you wacky Canadian!

Back