• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

finally got my gear installed

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
mmmm not quite as nice as the old one ... but still nice, and yes the engine needs to be cleaned. next weekend i am planing a new belt and tensioner and VC gasket along w/ a few other little things. and someone already adjusted my gear for me ... mmmm thanks

so yea i'm pretty sure this is 2 deg advance ... gonna try 2 more deg advance later as my v15 really liked 4 deg advance

pics

gear6795.JPG

i started the car .. ran it for a little over a min .. and no joke it stopped like like you see it, and yes the gear is @ TDC
gear6794.JPG

gear6793.JPG

Last edited:
isn't that 2 deg retarded. if you look set like that the crank will be past TDC

hang on brain feeze moment. haha. it's +2 takes a while to think around that.

buggers should of put +/- symbols on it

Is that the ttr(?) gear? It looks good.
Purple the only way it comes from them? :-P

I need one. Got the damn square tooth not thinking..

TTR gears come in a few different colors .. this is just the one i liked, and round tooth for the win, a lot better designed than IPD's, costs a bit more but worth it

this was the old TTR gear i had, i f'd up my engine with it as i adjusted the cam a LOT trying a lot of different setting ..i didn't set the torque right on the gear which caused it to rattle loose and sheer off the roll pin on the cam

sIMG_0888.jpg

Last edited:
cam

That's a nice looking cam gear. It looks like the cam timing is advanced to me. The engine runs clockwise. The the cam timing mark will pass the timing mark on the cover before the outer part of the gear will. That seems advanced to me.

Your cam timing is currently 2 degrees advanced (assuming each mark is equivalent to 1 degree and that we are talking cam rather than crank degrees). Is this what we are supposed to guess?

for sure to the right is advanced.... as said engine turns clock wise and turing the cam forward like that makes the intake valve open sooner which is advacing the timing .. .IPD gear is not only backwards but ugly and lacking the roundtooth pimpness

That gear is 2deg retarded.

After you rotate the face of the gear, you use the notch on the face of the gear - NOT the teeth - as the TDC mark.

This means that looking at your 3rd pic, the gear is rotated past TDC. Turn the gear backwards (to the left) a little and line up the center notch on the purple section with the TDC mark on the car, and your teeth are 2deg retarded.

The IPD gear has the graduations on the hub the TTR has them on the rim. Imagine a mirror image of it.

That makes no difference. If you're rotating the face of the gear to the right, and the teeth are staying put, you are retarding the cam. Because moving the face to the right is the same thing as moving the *teeth* to the *left*, counterclockwise.

Back